Difference b/w sysprint and sysout

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Difference b/w sysprint and sysout

Postby wasimraja » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi All,
I am a fresher learning JCL. I have a doubt. can anyone pls tell me what is the difference between a SYSPRINT AND SYSOUT.
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*

some says its based on the ibm utitlity we use . like if we use ibm unitility then we should use sysprint and for app we should use sysout. but however we use sysout for sort utility.. so can any 1 tell the clear diff .. it will be useful for me :roll:
wasimraja

Re: Difference b/w sysprint and sysout

Postby steve-myers » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:24 pm

What you often want to do with these forums, just eyeball recent posts to see if a similar question has been asked and answered recently. Many of these forums have a search function of variable quality that you should also use.

In your case, SYSPRINT and SYSOUT are just DD names. A DD name is just an 1 to 8 character string that starts with an alphabetic or "national" character. The name is at the discretion of the programmer. Many IBM programs use SYSPRINT to imply the data set is oriented towards being printed on popular IBM printers in the early 1960s. The original SORT product included with OS/360 used SYSOUT rather than SYSPRINT since it could be used within other programs and they did not want to conflict with DD names used by other programs; the SYNCSORT product, which originally was an improved version of the OS/360 sort followed this convention, as did CA-SORT and IBM's DFSORT products.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Re: Difference b/w sysprint and sysout

Postby swd » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:25 pm

posted just 5 days ago

jcl/topic3531.html
swd

Return to JCL