Z/OS Tape Backup

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Z/OS Tape Backup

Postby ballj35 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 am

Everyone,

I could really really use some help with this tape backup. I have included the JCL I am using to do this.
The DMQABKJ1 is the first one for backing up PDS's and DMQABKJ2 is for backing up VSAM files. These members are
attached.
When I run the first job DMQABK1, I keep getting the following error after file OUTDD18 is backed up. I also
deleted the COPY for all files prior to OUTDD18, thinking it was the tape, but get the same error. Loaded a new tape,
created the VOL SER and labeled, per your instructions and got the same results as before.
At this time, I am confused and not sure where to turn with this, so I am reaching out for help. The
error is as follows:

IEC151I A13-10,IFG0195H,DMQABKUP,STEP2000,OUTDD22,0590,QADM01,ZOS111.QA.DM.TEST.CNTL
IEA995I SYMPTOM DUMP OUTPUT 674

I have looked up this error and that is the reason why I used a different tape, but the same results.
Also, I am using 2 jobs, 1 for PDS and 1 for datafiles, when I run the 2nd job (files), will it overwrite
what I already have for the PDS members? I am using a Standard Label tape and have them numbered
sequentially. So the first job are the PDS members, then when the job starts, the file seq, begins from
the last value of the previous job. See OUTDD39 and subsequent OUTDD values for placement.
Is this going to work?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and thanx in advance.

Jerry Ball
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ballj35

Re: Z/OS Tape Backup

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:41 am

I wonder why You do not use a better tool for backup... ADRDSSU aka DFDSS ???

simpler, effective, fast !
and to answer Your next question,
yes You can restore a single file from a backup!
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby ballj35 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 am

To use this utility, can u point me to a good example for how to DUMP multiple files?
Also can I use this utility to DUMP the PDS members also? I would like to have one job
that would DUMP the PDS's and the VSAM files and associated indexes in one place.
Then I would also like to find something to RESTORE them. A good example would be
able to guide me in this effort.
Thanx in advance.
ballj35

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:49 am

The manual has many fine examples. Since all your data sets appear to start with QA.DM.TEST, you could use this to back them all up at once:
//DFDSSTS1 EXEC PGM=ADRDSSU,REGION=0M
//SYSPRINT DD   SYSOUT=*
//TAPE     DD   DISP=(,CATLG),DSN=<backup.file.name>,
//         other parameters such as DCB, UNIT,etc.
//SYSIN    DD   *
  DUMP ODD(TAPE)                          -
       DS(INCLUDE(QA.DM.TEST.**           -
                 ))                       -
       OPT(4)                             -
       TOL(ENQF) WAIT(0,0)
/*
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby ballj35 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:27 am

Which manual? I have no problem doing the research on this. I appreciate the informaiton and guidance.
ballj35

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 am

DFSMS bookshelf -- DFSMS Storage Administration Reference (for DFSMShsm, DFSMSdss, DFSMSdfp) manual
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm

When you have an error message, your first task is to locate the explanation of the message, which I found here. There are multiple reasons for an SA13 ABEND; for your particular ABEND the manual states
A tape mark was read instead of a HDR1 label while forward spacing to the desired file on an SL or AL tape. Thus, the multifile tape ends before the desired file. When positioning to the end of file 1, this means the vol label is followed by a tape mark. Probable user error. Check the file sequence number and volume serial numbers and that the job that wrote the tape wrote all the files.
The second sentence in this description is an excellent description of your problem, and the entire description clearly tells you how to find where you messed up.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to JCL