JCL to fetch data

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

JCL to fetch data

Postby Dhana Kumar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi,

I would like to know the JCL to fetch the data from one dataset to other new dataset which i am going to create. If some help me it would be great.

Regards
Dhana Venkatesh
Dhana Kumar

Re: JCL to fetch data

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Terminology is critical in IT, where similar terms may mean very different things. JCL executes programs. It cannot "fetch" data -- all JCL does is execute programs. If you are wanting to create a new file as a copy of an existing file, at a minimum you need to tell us whether the source file is VSAM (and if so, if the file is KSDS, ESDS, RRDS, or one of the other VSAM types), sequential, or a PDS. VSAM files are typically copied using IDCAMS, while sequential files are typically copied using SORT or IEBGENER and PDS files are typically copied using IEBCOPY -- although IDCAMS can copy sequential files as well.

Since the JCL for each of these system utiltiies varies, your best and fastest option would be to look them up in the appropriate IBM manual and learn how to use them yourself.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby MrSpock » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Dhana, I have to admit that I'm a bit perplexed by your topic. A year ago you posted that you wanted to go through some Storage Management Certification programs. Certainly if you're at that level of expertise then you'd know how to do this better than a lot of us.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby Frank Yaeger » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 pm

VSAM files are typically copied using IDCAMS, while sequential files are typically copied using SORT or IEBGENER and PDS files are typically copied using IEBCOPY -- although IDCAMS can copy sequential files as well.

And DFSORT can copy VSAM files as well.
Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration
=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Frank Yaeger
Global moderator

Postby Dhana Kumar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks Frank and Robert for your reply.. Let me Re-phrase my question i need a JCL program which will fetch or copy the information's from an another job(Actual Job).I need to use my JCL Job in the Schedule as Predecessor for the Actual job which i need to copy the information. So if the schedule starts once the Actual job is completed then my job will run, which should copy the information.

Need for copying the information is ?, Since the actual job will automatically delete the data's inside it once it ran. For this reason i am planning to create a JCL program for fetching the information.
Dhana Kumar

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm sorry but I don't see how we can help you. JCL executes programs -- "create a JCL program" cannot be done, period. JCL can be created but it executes programs, it is not a program by itself. It also sounds like you need to set your JCL up with the scheduler so you need to work with your site support group to do that.

Furthermore, you have not specified anything about the data so it is impossible to even guide you on which utility to start with.

And finally, if you are so inexperienced (or lazy) as to be unable to find the Utilties or SORT manuals on the IBM web site and look up the sample JCL yourself -- and you cannot bring yourself to ask your site support group, team leader, or coworkers how to write the JCL to execute a batch job to do what you want -- just why do you think we should do your job for you and give you the JCL?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 pm

I need to use my JCL Job in the Schedule as Predecessor for the Actual job which i need to copy the information. So if the schedule starts once the Actual job is completed then my job will run

So which is it to do? Run before or after the 'actual job'?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:16 am

Hello,

copy the information's from an another job(Actual Job).
What does this mean?

Keep in mind that you believe you know exactly what you want to do, but we have no idea. . .

Suggest you post some example "input" data and what y0u want your new process to do with this data. Are you looking at working with a data file, somthing that is in thw jes output, or something else.

When you abuse the terminology and post nothing we can use to help, we are kinda stuck. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Dhana Kumar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks Everyone for your replies. I got that utility which is used to copy the data from the actual job.

//LIST1 EXEC PGM=GJTRJARC,PARM='LIST,B=RPD250A'
//SYSPRINT DD DSN=ZZZP.PATCH.OUT1,
// DISP=(,CATLG,DELETE),UNIT=SYSDA,
// DCB=(RECFM=FBA,LRECL=133,BLKSIZE=27930),
// SPACE=(TRK,(2,2),RLSE)
Dhana Kumar

Postby mongan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm

For those that do not know it, GJTRJARC happens to be a Jobtrac utility which is a CA product. So much for qualified questions - nobody could have solved the question asked with so little information about what is to be done. :(
mongan

Return to JCL