HOW TO RUN JOB IN DAILY BASIS

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

HOW TO RUN JOB IN DAILY BASIS

Postby ganesan_t » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:10 pm

HI GUYS, AM GANESAN..........
I HAVE JOB CARD IN JCL, THAT CONSIST OF 3 STEP. 1 WILL RUN DAILY AND 2 WILL BE RUN WEEKLY AND 3 WILL MONTHLY BASIS. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SET THESE STEP IN ROUTINE IN JCL.....
PLS REPLY ME. IT 'S URGENT ................

THANKS & REGARDS..............
ganesan_t

Re: HOW TO RUN JOB IN DAILY BASIS

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Slow down, please.

A job card is just the bit at the top of some JCL.

A JOB can have steps.

If you have steps which need to run daily, weekly and monthly respectively, talk to the people who run your Scheduler. This is a big complex piece of software which runs jobs when you tell it to (amongst other things). You'll need the steps in seperate jobs, each with a job card. The production JCL will probably be written for you, using yours as a basis to apply your site's standards.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:25 pm

PLEASE DO NOT USE CAPITALS - it is considered rude!
Please do not ask for urgent stuff on the forum as we answer: if we want, when we want and at our own expense.

"Job card" in JCL - can only be in JCL if you are running on zOS.

Now, I am totally unclear as to what you want - is it:-
you have one program (let's call it PROGA) that has to run daily
a second program (PROGB) that runs weekly and a third program (PROGC) that runs monthly.
If that is the case set up one run deck (batch job) for each program, give them to your scheduler with the run information and any other stuff that they require saying this job runs daily, this job runs weekly on such-and-such a day and this job runs monthly according to these criteria.

A lot of your JCL (dataset names, storage management classes etc) will be specific to your location so ask people who have done this before. They will not bite you but they will get shirty if you do not do it according to your site rules.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby ganesan_t » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks Dude,

what my query is, Is there any possible to develop program according to this requirement..................
ganesan_t

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks Dude

since we are not familiar with each other, the term used is symptom of not so good manners

what my query is, Is there any possible to develop program according to this requirement..................

how is the last question related to the initial one ?
anyway a YES/NO question deserves a YES/NO answer
You can develop any program for any requirement, provided You have skills and time.

repeated novemtrigillion times... do not implement Your own scheduling system,
work with Your support in order to write JCL that can be scheduled according to Your <periodic> rules
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Is this the first job that will be running on a new mainframe? I'm asking because it's usually easier to model a process after one that is already running at your shop.

So, are there other jobs that get run automatically every day, which run against the same databases that you are needing to use?

Are there other jobs that run weekly against those same databases?

Are there other jobs that run monthly against those same databases?

If so, find out how they were implemented.
Ed Goodman

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:44 am

Hello,

This should have NOTHING to do with developing the program(s).

It should be controlled by the scheduling software used on the system. You need to talk with the scheduling people to set up your process(es) as needed.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to JCL