Standard JCL's

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Standard JCL's

Postby Alison Oliveira » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:19 pm

There is no standard for JCL's????

The parameters of A JCL depends of the utilities that are used??

I am trying to understand somethings but it´s very dificult... I work in a companie that have very specific standards about mainframe... and some manuals can´t help me...

=´(

some suggestions???
Alison Oliveira

Re: Standard JCL's

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:33 pm

OK for the language barrier,
but, please, reread Your post and honestly tell what is that we should understand

The parameters of A JCL depends of the utilities that are used??

don' t You think that it is obvious that the JCL used to RUN a sort step is different from the JCL used to run a COBOL compile

until You clarify better the chances of getting help are pretty slim .
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Not really sure what, or how many questions, you are asking here.JCL has one PARM keyword. Utilities each have there own format of utility control statements - you cannot expect the control cards for a sort to be the same as the control cards for a file copy! We do not work in your company so we do not know what standards they have. Usual standards are arounf naming conventions for datasets. There are also operational standards e,g, do not create GDGs until the end of your job or even create them in a seperate job - use work files in between. This aids restart. Similarly with printed output - do not put the output to spool until the program concludes successfully. Many other things.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Alison Oliveira » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 pm

i don´t know if it is obvious or not... i am beginner... i am trying to understand the topics about mainframe

So... there some parameters used in jcl like... STEPLIB , SYSOUT, SYSPRINT, and i don´t know when i have to use them...
i read in some manuals... "All programs to be executed must reside in a library..." so, programs that i develop i have to use STEPLIB... and the others??
The utilities have the SYSOUT, STEPLIB,SYSPRINT too???
Alison Oliveira

Postby Alison Oliveira » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:47 pm

NicC thanks... based on these post i will search about this "control cards"...
But, could you put some example of this "control cards please"???
Alison Oliveira

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:51 pm

Terminology is critical in IT, where similar terms may mean very different things. You are not referring to parameters but to DD names (a parameter in JCL appears on the EXEC statement and has the form ,PARM='value' although the quote marks can be other characters). The DD statement is used in a job to define the various data sets used; if a DD statement has a name (they don't all have to), that name starts immediately after the first two slashes and proceeds until the first space. The actual DD name is limited to 8 characters, but the first space may be later since other things can further define the DD name (such as step name or procedure step name). You need to find the JCL Reference and User's Guide manuals for your release of z/OS at http://www.ibm.com and read it -- thoroughly -- to understand batch job JCL. This will also tell you what DD names are reserved for use by the system (such as STEPLIB).
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:53 pm

why not start reading from
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246366.html

and here is the link to the mother of all manuals
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/ ... index.html
Last edited by enrico-sorichetti on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Thgose are keywords - not parameters. Specifically they are DDnames and are used to link filenames internal to the program with the real dataset names. If a program does not use SYSOUT for example then there is no need to code it. Regarding STEPLIB some programs reside in a 'known place' similar to a path in windoze/uni* but they are special libraries. System programs and utilities will reside there. Your own programs will reside either in your own libraries or in application libraries. These will have to be STEPLIBbed so that the OS knows where to look.

This is all mentioned in the JCL Language Reference and the JCL User Guide.

Just seen your last post - samples can be found in the manual for each utility - sort has it's own most of the others are in one manual. There should be a link to the IBM manuals somewhere on the forum but I do not see it. Maybe on the index page.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 pm

If you google "utilityname sample jcl" when you need one, you'll usually get some good results.

However, if your site is full of standards, I'd check with colleagues first: do it the way your site does it.

There are DD names which have specific names and which conventionally serve a specific purpose.

Like STEPLIB, SYSIN, SYSOUT, SYSUTn, SORTIN, SORTINnn, and many more. Not thought about it before, but mostly beginning with S :-)

You need to use those where they are needed, and where others are needed from applications you are running, you need those as well.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Alison Oliveira » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks all of you!!!
Alison Oliveira

Return to JCL