What is Punch records in JCL

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

What is Punch records in JCL

Postby rajufis_01 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 pm

what is punch records,what is the use of it???

can you please me anyone??
rajufis_01

Re: What is Punch records in JCL

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Where did you run across this term? Back when most programs were on cards, the card punch was attached to the mainframe to output new cards, but it is not clear if this is the meaning you are using for the term.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:29 pm

------ JES2 JOB STATISTICS ------
24 NOV 2011 JOB EXECUTION DATE
63 CARDS READ
330 SYSOUT PRINT RECORDS
0 SYSOUT PUNCH RECORDS
25 SYSOUT SPOOL KBYTES
0.13 MINUTES EXECUTION TIME
Are you talking about the red-text quoted above?
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Postby rajufis_01 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:39 pm

yes anuj i am talking about that

thanks,
Raj
rajufis_01

Postby steve-myers » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:07 am

Mr. Sample's response is about right. In the 1960s and 1970s, for the most part we submitted jobs on punched cards we prepared on keypunch machines, and most mainframe computers had machines that could prepare new punched cards, usually SYSOUT class B. Keypunch machines as well as card punch machines disappeared in the 1980s and 1990s, though the concepts are still with us; 80 byte wide 327x display screens as an example, or LRECL=80 datasets. To this day when a system programmer prepares output class definitions in JESx, he or she specifies if the output class is intended to be sent to a printer or card punch. If your JCL specifies an output class is to be sent to a card punch, JESx counts the records as punch records.

The last time I sent output to a real card punch was sometime in the 1990s; even then most of my colleagues (and me, too) thought we were pretty old fashioned! The card punch was the card punch side of a 2540 reader/punch that was probably built in the 1960s. This shop punched several thousand cards every week until the middle 1990s.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Avin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi I just read this topic . I got some idea. I am ecoutering an issue that my job is creating the TAXIPS.CG06811A.REPTFILE.PRINT01.G1653V00 . The DD Name in front of this jcl is PRNTPNCH . But I am unable to find how this file is routed to printer which is in remote location. On anlysing further in my application i found job WSF2EXTK
where I found such type of parametrs:-

//EVPFORM OUTPUT PAGEDEF=ST86,FORMDEF=LABL64,DEST=STL3211,CLASS=C,
/ / FORMS=3407

The user of my application has raised a request that he wants to route the TAXIPS.CG06811A.REPTFILE.PRINT01.G1653V00 to another printer as previous one is retiring. But I am unable to link how this report is getting printed at remote site. Any urgent answers will be appreciated as my business users is shooting mails like anything.

Avinash
Tech Mahindra
Avin

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Any urgent answers will be appreciated as my business users is shooting mails like anything.
First, this is a VOLUNTEER forum -- answers are posted if / when people have the time to respond -- asking for urgent responses actually reduces the chances you'll get ANY response, much less a helpful one. Second, nobody here really cares HOW many emails your business users send you -- that is YOUR problem, not ours. And third, what research have YOU done so far? Have you looked up the OUTPUT statement in the JCL Reference manual? Have you looked in that job to see how the OUTPUT statement is referenced? have you talked to your site support group to find out if a new printer destination has even been assigned to that location? In other words, we cannot help you if you do not help yourself, FIRST.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Avin wrote:But I am unable to find how this file is routed to printer which is in remote location. On anlysing further in my application i found job WSF2EXTK
where I found such type of parametrs:-

//EVPFORM OUTPUT PAGEDEF=ST86,FORMDEF=LABL64,DEST=STL3211,CLASS=C,
/ / FORMS=3407

The user of my application has raised a request that he wants to route the TAXIPS.CG06811A.REPTFILE.PRINT01.G1653V00 to another printer as previous one is retiring.

So the user wants the report sent to a different DESTination?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:44 pm

OK, a few pointers.

The "OUTPUT" statement you listed has a destination parameter (DEST=STL3211). Somewhere in the gears and cogs of the system, that destination is linked to a physical printer. There are a lot of ways for this connection to be made, so I won't even hazard a guess as to how it's being done at your shop.

Somewhere, there is a job being run to copy the contents of the TAXIPS.... dataset to a SYSOUT. That SYSOUT will be linked to an OUTPUT statement like the one you listed. The link looks something like this:
//SYSUT2 DD SYSOUT=(*),OUTPUT=*.EVPFORM

The SYSOUT class will be different for you, because that's kind of like a listener. The different classes react differently when data gets sent to them. You shop might have class Q set up to watch for this type of output, so your DD would look like:
//SYSUT2 DD SYSOUT=(Q),OUTPUT=*.EVPFORM

So...
First, start asking for the new name for the new printer. There may not be one yet, or they may just re-point the existing connection to the new printer.

Second, find the job that is doing the copy of the flat file out to the print queue. If there really isn't one, then your site may have a different way of routing output to the print queues. I know there are some of those where they read flat files and process them based on some tables that are predefined.
Ed Goodman

Return to JCL