Jobs in SPOOL

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Jobs in SPOOL

Postby pushkal2gud » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi All,

I want to copy the name of the jobs of a particular owner which are currently in execution from spool to a PS file. Is it possible ? If yes, then please suggest where I should start and which utility i should use. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
Pushkal
pushkal2gud

Re: Jobs in SPOOL

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Hello,

Your question is not very clear. . .

A particular "owner" usually only has 1 or a few jobs running at the same time.

You are interested only in jobs that are executing for some particular user? Not the ones completed or queued to start?

If your system has SDSF, you can run SDSF in batch.

If you want to look at these jobnames online, you can also use SDSF. Set to PREFIX to that user and display the active jobs.

Given that the number of active jobs should be small, how do you want these in a dataset. How will this dataset be used?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

So far nothing here has to do, directly, with JCL. Tell us which spool utility you are using and we can move the topic to the correct location.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby pushkal2gud » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi dick,

In my case, a particular owner is having hundreds of parallel running jobs. I only want to copy the names of the jobs which are in execution only to a ps file, not concerned with the jobs which are completed or queued. I need to use that ps file for further processing in my jcl.

Hi NicC,

We use to SDSF spool utility, but i am not finding a way to copy the job names to a ps file.

I hope I made myself clear what i intend to achieve. Kindly help regarding it.

Regards
Pushkal
pushkal2gud

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:49 pm

I only want to copy the names of the jobs which are in execution only to a ps file,

do You realize that the info You are collecting is very volatile....
the data depends on the instant You press the enter key, a few seconds sooner or later might make quite a bit of difference!

as far as collecting data using sdsf search the forum for my examples /( tested and working )

for example
http://ibmmainframes.com/about54926.html
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:02 am

Hello,

a particular owner is having hundreds of parallel running jobs.
How has this been allowed to happen? How many of these might be in conflict with each other? If not dataset enqueue contention, definitely performance implications.

Once you have a list of jobnames (that will change whil your process is running) how will this list be used
for further processing in my jcl.
If we understand what the real goal is we may be able to make more useful suggestions.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 am

Well, you could restrict using OWNER/PREFIX your display of active jobs to that of the ID you want after that I suggest you may only be able to get that info to a dataset by cut and paste - and, as Enrico said, each time you scroll the data the info changes.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Are you, by any chance, talking about creating some in-house tool, if yes - what exactly your motive is behind that tool, sharing that might fetch some to-the-point responses? Because capturing such an info, as has been told, is first - volatile, second, makes very little sense for a busy shop, third - is totally useless unless you are at work just after a Sherlock Holmes' movie.
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Return to JCL