Trigerring multiple jobs from a input file

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Trigerring multiple jobs from a input file

Postby Vincent » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 am

Hello Everybody,
I'm just begining JCL & Cobol. I need a help! I have a list of jobs in a dataset, everytime according to some criteria I need to submit only a few jobs (Say the dataset contains around a 100 jobs and I need to submit around 50/60 odd jobs frequently). I need to make some changes and then submit those jobs one by one(The jobs are different everytime). This would take a lot of time and I was thinking of a better way.
-- Now, is it possible if I create a job which takes an input file(which has all the jobs I need to run), copy them to a temp dataset, and run all of them at a time. I mean if I run the job which I created it should be able to trigger all the jobs specified in the input file.
This is the first basic step which I thought off, and if this hits off, i could maybe see how I can make the changes into those jobs and then trigger them.

Will this work?
Vincent

Re: Trigerring multiple jobs from a input file

Postby NicC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Have you searched the forum for similar requests?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Re: Trigerring multiple jobs from a input file

Postby Akatsukami » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:27 pm

If your shop has a scheduler package (OPC, Control-M, etc.) you will want to look into its use. We strongly discourage attempts to write your own scheduler, as this is a serious wombat and can easily lead to disaster.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Return to JCL