LISTCAT with multiple levels

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

LISTCAT with multiple levels

Postby rbs1121 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 am

Has anyone tried to list catalog entries using multiple levels? For example, I would like to list datasets with the qualifiers like this: AAA.*.*.BBB. I can do it in ISPF 3.4, but I can't get IDCAMS to work with the LISTCAT parameter, using either the ENTRIES or LEVEL parm. Has anyone done this before? Thanks.
rbs1121

Re: LISTCAT with multiple levels

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:21 am

AAA.*.*.BBB is not valid, but LEVEL(AAA.*.BBB) finds names with any number of levels between AAA and BBB.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby rbs1121 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:00 pm

I tried that, but it didn't work. This is what I coded: LISTCAT LEVEL (AAA.*.BBB). I have 2 datasets, named AAA.TEST.BBB and AAA.TEST.CCC.BBB. It found only AAA.TEST.BBB. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
rbs1121

Postby NicC » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:10 pm

You are only asking for one level - even in 3.4 you have to specify each level unless the * comes at the end. suggest you look up the format in the manual.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to JCL