How to set timeout in CICS HTTP calls

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

How to set timeout in CICS HTTP calls

Postby powerhawk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:48 am

We have several CICS programs doing calls to services outside Mainframe using WEB SEND and WEB RECEIVE. Our problem is we haven't figured out how to set timeout for this service calls. We need to set different timeout times for different service calls and our workaround just now is to set the timeout times on CICS transaction level. This means we have to create a unique CICS program for every service call and make a CICS START on this programs for every service call. Are there any other method to handle the timeout issue, by using the HTTP headers or other HTTP call parameters?
powerhawk

Re: How to set timeout in CICS HTTP calls

Postby Garry F Carroll » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 pm

You might be able to override the RESPWAIT in a pipeline handler.

See :https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGMCP_5.2.0/com.ibm.cics.ts.webservices.doc/reference/containers/dfhws_dfhwsrespwait.html

Garry.
Garry F Carroll

Re: How to set timeout in CICS HTTP calls

Postby powerhawk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanks Garry, you have a good point there. I've been using CICS Web Service Support to implement service provider applications, never service requester applications and didn't know this feature. This solved some of my problems but not all of them. Some services we request don't are SOAP or JSON services and in this cases I don't think this method work. I think I sometimes need a method also to handle timeout in a pure WEB SEND/WEB RECEIVE situation.
powerhawk

Return to CICS