START Tran - Xpediter

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

START Tran - Xpediter

Postby Anamikaa » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:44 am

I have a main program A which starts transaction T i.e program B. I want to debug program B with xpediter.
I am trying to get the control to program B and debug the started tran-program but I am not able to get the control.
I set the traps in the 1.6 Trap summary screen of xpediter but still it doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me what else should I do to get control in xpediter to this started tran-program ?
Anamikaa

Re: START Tran - Xpediter

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:02 am

Your post makes absolutely no sense. A transaction, which is 4 characters by the way, is invoked from a terminal (or a program). That transaction is tied to a program, which is started when the transaction is invoked. Programs can in turn start a transaction (which invokes ANOTHER program), but a program does not ever start the process.

So assuming that you meant transaction T is invoking program A, how does program B get going -- LINK, XCTL, START, or some other method? And why on earth would you be using option 1.6 of the XPED transaction? Option 2 is Debugging Facilities and allows you to select the program that you want to debug. You can pull up the source display (assuming there is a DDIO file for the region that contains the current source code for program B), set breakpoints, and exit the XPED transaction to then start up your transaction T and get into debugging.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Anamikaa » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:19 am

OK. Let me explain.
I have program A starting transaction T which is tied to program B. I want to debug program B in xpediter. I put breakpoints in B and set the traps but I don't get any control in program B .
Anamikaa

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:54 am

Hello,

but a program does not ever start the process.
I have program A starting transaction T which is tied to program B
What (transaction) starts program A. It is not self-starting. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:35 am

how does program B get going -- LINK, XCTL, START, or some other method?
and while we're at it, how does transaction T get started by program A? And what starts program A?

If you refuse to answer the questions, there is no way we can provide an answer to you. In that case, all we can suggest is that you contact your site support group for assistance. There should be an expert in Xpediter available there.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Anamikaa » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Transaction T1 starts program A. Program A has EXEC CICS START TRAN command to start another transaction T2 which is tied to program B. I want to debug program B in xpediter. Even though I set breakpoints in it , I am unable to get the control in it in xpediter.
Anamikaa

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:25 am

Is transaction T2 running from a terminal or asynchronously? If it is running asynchronously, have you followed the steps in section 7.5 regarding how to debug an asynchronous program? If so, contact your site support group for assistance -- or contact Compuware to open a problem report.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27 am

That's section 7.5 of the Xpediter / CICS User's Guide.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to CICS