Diff between CEMT and CEDA

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

Diff between CEMT and CEDA

Postby adurthisridhar » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi,

I would like to know the difference between CEMT and CEDA trnasactions.

As per my understanding, for ex: if we use CEMT SET FILE and change some attributes of the file then it wont be in effect with the CICS next restart (it means, it wont update the CSD file). But we alter the same file with CEDA ALTER then the changes will be in effect with next restart. Is my understanding is right?

Can you please clarify me?

Thanks,
Sridhar A
adurthisridhar

Re: Diff between CEMT and CEDA

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:39 pm

CEMT shows you the current status of the file (program, transaction, or whatever you look at). If you close a file, change the data set name, then open the file -- you will be able to access the new data set during this session of CICS. However, once CICS shuts down you'll lose access to the new data set and it will revert to the old data set name.

CEDA is used to define programs, transactions, files, and so forth to the CICS region. These changes must be installed to become permanent -- but when installed they are written to a special CICS file which is referenced during start up. So changes made via CEDA that are installed will become permanent changes to the region.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: Diff between CEMT and CEDA

Postby adurthisridhar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 am

Its is very clear. Thank you Robert
adurthisridhar

Return to CICS