CICS Case study

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

CICS Case study

Postby priyadatta30 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:56 pm

I am new to Mainframes ...I want to do one case study "Online Billing Enquiry System". Can anybosy let me know the steps to generate screens? How to define macros, maps, mapsets....? please help me..
priyadatta30

Re: CICS Case study

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 am

Some sites have screen generating tools while others do not. If your site does not use a screen generating tool, you need to find the CICS Application Programming Reference manual and read the appendices on BMS. If your site does use a screen generating tool, then you need to talk to your site support group, team leader, or coworkers about how to use the tool.

Most sites have standards for names of transactions, programs, maps, and mapsets so you need to talk to someone at your site to ensure you are following the standards. Usually, the actual definition of these items to CICS are done by the site support group (specifically, a CICS system programmer) and not by applications programmers.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby priyadatta30 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:19 am

Robert Sample, Thanks for the post Robert!! I am using emulator on my personal laptop and I m doing this for my practise. I dont have the tool. I have read the manuals of CICS also,, can u exactly tell me the steps to design the screen and I am using VSAM files so is there a need to define macros?
priyadatta30

Postby NicC » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:27 am

If you are new to IT then this ia a BIG step to take - usually analysis like this is done when you are more comfortable with analysing smaller projects. You will probably be better off using a book - I am using "CICS: A Howto For COBOL Programmers". So far it has done me well and it does not rely on 3rd party packages or even IBM's offering of SDF II.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:28 am

What macros are you talking about?

Lay out the screen fields, both constants and variables, with row and column positions. Don't forget to allow for the attribute byte at the start of each field! Use this layout to code up the BMS map and mapset definitions. The map and mapset are compiled to generate a load module and a copy book. The copy book is copied into the CICS program and the load library goes into the DFHRPL library for the CICS region. The mapset, program, and transaction have to be defined to CICS before you can use them in the region.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby priyadatta30 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:45 am

Nicc, I am not new to IT...yes I was trained in mainframes long back and after a long gap without any exp of mainframes in real scenario...I am starting off now...
I have a good understanding of COBOL and JCL but I am poor in CICS... this case stausy will clear all my doubts so I really need help to accomplish this..

Robert, thansk for the useful information!!! By macros I mean.... "You use macros to define:
Non-VTAM® networks
Non-VTAM terminals
Non-VSAM files
Databases
Monitoring resources
System recovery resources
CICS® uses an external security manager for all its security management.

You must use resource definition online (RDO) for VSAM files, and to define programs, map sets, partition sets, queues, transactions, and profiles. You must also use RDO to define VTAM terminals, and links and sessions with MRO (multiregion operation) and ISC (intersystem communication) systems. RDO is described in What is resource definition?." I have read this...
priyadatta30

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 am

An applications programmer would not use RDO -- nor the macros -- for any definitions at most sites. These functions are typically performed by a site support person based on requests from the applications programmers. The CICS Resource Definition Guide manual describes the (few) table entries still required as well as the online definition process.

It is not clear from what you ask if you are talking about using a Hercules type PC emulator of a mainframe (and if so, whether or not there is even any CICS available), or if you are talking about using a 3270 telnet program to get to an actual mainframe located somewhere.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby priyadatta30 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:39 am

I am using a QWS3270 Plus Emultor, connected to Mainframe fandezhi server. I have the access and mainframe id generated. I have also downloaded the tool to generate the maps, mapblaster : the trial version because i was not able to do it manually...I want to try it ...i wish to make map mapsets ...

Thru CEDA i ahve logged into CICS in emulator and then defined a mapset and a transaction...I am not sure about the steps exactly to follow!
priyadatta30

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:52 am

Use CEDA DEFINE to define a transaction (WXYZ for example), a program (PROGWXYZ for example), and a mapset (MSWXYZ for example). These must be defined in a group -- for you, use one group. Most sites have a group for programs, a group for transactions, and so forth, but they may have dozens or hundreds of programs defined. The group must be installed using the CEDA INSTALL verb. For simplicity, add the group to the CICS start up list (usually the region name but not always). This will install the group back into the region each time it comes up -- otherwise, when the region is bounced (brought down and back up), your CEDA entries will have to be installed again.

Then you can use your tool to define one (or more) maps within mapset MSWXYZ. Compile the mapset to generate a load module. You can then use CECI (the Command Interpreter) to show you the map by entering CECI SEND MAPSET('MXWXYZ') MAP(....). You then write the program PROGWXYZ, doing a COPY of MSWXYZ to bring in the map definition, and using SEND MAP and RECEIVE MAP appropriately to display the map and retrieve the data entered into the mapset. Compile the program to generate a load module. You can then enter your transaction (WXYZ) in CICS to test the program and map.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby priyadatta30 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:15 am

can somebody provide me the CICS COBOl Program Code for Online Billing Enquiry System...

Below are the screens:

Main screen:

Online Bill Enquiry System

Enter the Mobile Number : ___________________

Enter the Option: __
1. To view the entire bill with call records
2. To view the total amount
3. To view the amount on Date basis
4. To view the total incoming minutes
5. To view the total outgoing minutes

Message : ____________________________________________________________

F3 - Exit