Problems during the browsing of CICS VSAM FILE

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

Problems during the browsing of CICS VSAM FILE

Postby germinaa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi,
I have a problem with a CICS Vsam file. All programs COBOL/CICS can't read with readnext (StartBrowse/ReadNext/EndBrowse) command this file. The result of the readnext is always the first record read. The read equal works fine, it seems that Cics doesn't permit this function. The definition of RDO table seems to contain the Browse attribute. Is possible that the problem is generate if this attribute is not defined ?
All programs that read this file are old programs (working in production), this is a test environment, the file is create with a repro starting from a batch file (repro from production environment).
Do you have any suggestion?
Many Thanks in advance
Ciao
p.s.: sorry for english
germinaa

Re: Problems during the browsing of CICS VSAM FILE

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:39 pm

This sounds like an issue to bring up with your CICS support -- if the problem is as you describe, there is something causing it as STARTBR, READ NEXT, ENDBR processing logic has been working in CICS for many, many, many years and your site is not very likely going to be the first to find it broken.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby David Jackson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:47 pm

Have you tried running your transaction through CEDF to check for any EIBRESP that you may not be handling correctly?
You will at least be able to see if your code is looping around the STARTBR,READNEXT,ENDBR process.
David Jackson

Postby germinaa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks for your answers!
I've asked to CICS support, and I'm waiting for an answer. Yes, Itried running CEDF and seems running OK. I remember that also in the past I've this type of situation with another Vsam file and with another environment. I dont' remember very well, but maybe it was a CICS definition problem (keys or attributes). The programs that read this Vsam file have not any problems in another environment.
germinaa

Postby David Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 am

Yes, Itried running CEDF and seems running OK

You say it is running "OK"....
Do you see the READNEXT being repeated and are you seeing a successful EIBRESP from that second record?
Either the second record is being retrieved correctly or it is not and if not then the EIBRESP should reflect this.
David Jackson

Postby mongan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 pm

And how about posting the CICS definition of the file.
mongan

Postby germinaa » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:53 pm

I compiled the programs featured in another test environment (TEST1) here readnext the command works.

I compared the two VSAM allocations and apart Cisz and Bufspc not there are differences, I still tried to reallocate the VSAM under CICS, but no change.
At this point the only thing that differentiates the two environments should be the content of VSAM files, the environment TEST1 I'm using, there are some old records with key '30000NNNN' very strange in the sense that they should be 10000NNNN .. 10001NNNN .. 10030NNNN ... 20001NNNN 20030NNNN ... ... .... 30001NNNN 30030NNNN while on the test environment (TEST2) are not there. With CEDF I saw that after the startbr and readnx the record that is returned is just one of those strange record (key 30000NNNN). These records should not be there, deleted abnormal records all programs read the file correctly VSAM. Perhaps in the past there was a program that allowed (wrongly) to put this type of key. Thank you all for your help. ciao
germinaa

Return to CICS