CICS under stress

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

CICS under stress

Postby XY09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi guys,

i have tried to open a new CICS terminal, unfortunately i am not able to login. I looked at CICS job which is running in spool i see below issue. please help me in resloving the issue.

DFHSM0133 CICS CICS is under stress (short on storage above 16MB).
DFHSM0134 CICS CICS is no longer short on storage above 16MB.
DFHSM0134 CICS CICS is no longer short on storage above 16MB.

Thx,
Xy09
XY09

Re: CICS under stress

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:12 pm

When you can get into the region, issue the STAT transaction to determine which storage area above the line is running out of space. You're probably -- but not necessarily -- going to need to increase EDSALIM. If you get statistics on shut down, look at a previous run of the region to determine the storage high water marks, which usually tell where storage is running low.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby mongan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Either your CICS has too little storage assigned to it or a transaction is eating up the storage or ...... Unfortunately, many people have no idea about CICS and then read tables with thousands of entries into storage, or transactions run way too long hold storage for a long time or ....
mongan

Postby XY09 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:25 am

I searched some CICS manuals came to know that MaxTSHPool attributes in the Region Definitions (RD) not enough. please let me know how can i change MaxTSHPool value.
XY09

Postby mongan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:58 am

Have you examined what is causing the problem? I can not imagine that defining a terminal is causing the problem at all. What CICS level are you at? What definitions do you have for EDSALIM (and the other size parameters)? What size definitions do you have for the CICS region? You need to do some more research (you might find the answers yourself) and post some information. DON'T just assume something. If you do find your answers, which are very much site specific, let us know what they were for you.
mongan

Return to CICS