Clarification on HDSALIM parameter

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

Clarification on HDSALIM parameter

Postby Viswanathchandru » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:43 am

Hi folks,
I have a requirement in my shop where a program of 500 MB has to be loaded in the CICS memory. Initially the HDSALIMIT was just 16 MB and when i gone through the manuals i got an advice of increasing it through the CEMT SET SYS command. Ofcourse, it worked(upto to 260 MB of program). I have raised the limit upto 1GB(HDSALIM). But even after this the CICS is not happy! Its getting stressed and i got this information from the console. Please advice me how to proceed. Also i would like to know the significance of adding the AUTODST = YES in the CICS proc. Hope i'm clear! Please let me know in case if i need to give more inputs. Apologies if i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: Clarification on HDSALIM parameter

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:38 am

The CICS region is started with a SIT (System Initialization Table), and the SIT sets DSA and EDSA size limits. You cannot exceed these values, and the only way I know of to change them is to change the SIT macro and recompile it. Further, every LPAR has a memory limit set by the system and if you ask for more than the LPAR has, you're not going to get it -- period.

500 Mb is an extremely large amount of storage for a CICS region, much less one program. Why do you think you need to have a program taking up so much memory? It strongly sounds like time for redesign!
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: Clarification on HDSALIM parameter

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:15 am

Hello,

It strongly sounds like time for redesign!
Most definitely. . . :!:

It sounds like the easiest, worst, do no research approach was taken.

If this is to be successful long-term, a different approach would be the way to go.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CICS