PPT entry of all module under CICS?

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

PPT entry of all module under CICS?

Postby xboss » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:15 pm

I have PROG X calling/linked to newly created module PROG Y in same region. Do I need PPT entry for PROG Y as well. Is there other way I can work around. Suppose my region has autoinstall feature turned on, do I still need to create PPT entry for PROG Y. I am confused about AUTOINSTALL feature and how it works.

Your answer and time is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
xboss

Re: PPT entry of all module under CICS?

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:46 pm

As asked, your question cannot be answered because you did not provide vital information. When you say
I have PROG X calling/linked to newly created module PROG Y in same region.
do you mean:
- EXEC CICS XCTL
- EXEC CICS LINK
- EXEC CICS LOAD
- program language CALL

The answer depends upon which of these you are using.

From the Resource Defintiion Guide manual:
5.5.4.1 When the autoinstall control program is invoked for program autoinstall

For programs, the autoinstall control program is invoked when:

Any of these commands references a previously undefined program:

EXEC CICS LINK

EXEC CICS XCTL

EXEC CICS LOAD

The program is the first program in a transaction.

An EXEC CICS ENABLE is issued for a GLUE or a TRUE.

An abend occurs after an EXEC CICS HANDLE ABEND PROGRAM command is issued and CICS invokes the named program.

CICS calls a user-replaceable program.

For mapsets, the autoinstall control program is invoked when an EXEC CICS SEND MAP or EXEC CICS RECEIVE MAP refers to a previously undefined mapset.

For partitionsets, the autoinstall control program is invoked when an EXEC CICS SEND PARTNSET or EXEC CICS RECEIVE PARTN command refers to a previously undefined partitionset.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby xboss » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 am

Sorry Robert, I missed it. Yes the linking is via EXEC CICS LINK.
Thank you for the information and direction. Let me jump to CICS Resource Definition Guide.
xboss

Postby mongan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 pm

If auto install is on, what the policies are if it is on, etc. can only be determined in your shop, ask your CICS administrators.
mongan

Postby xboss » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 pm

sounds good. Thanks Mongan. I did ask them and found the region I am working on has program autoinstall enabled.

The question is so related to this thread so I am not creating a new one for the question below,

What is the difference if I have the PPT entry for the program in CICS or if I don't (loaded via autoinstall)? The reason I am asking this question is
in manual I did find the advantage of program autoinstall which leads to me think there is no need of PPT entry if we have program autoinstall in a region. Any
3D thought?

Thanks again.
xboss

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 pm

From the Resource Defintiion Guide manual, 5.5.1:
Decide whether to use autoinstall for programs.

Using autoinstall for programs can save time spent on defining individual programs, mapsets, and partitionsets. Savings can also be made on storage, because the definitions of autoinstalled resources do not occupy space until they are referenced.

Use of autoinstall for programs can reduce the number of definitions to be installed on a COLD start, thereby reducing the time taken.

Decide which programs to autoinstall.

Depending on your programs, you can choose to use a mixture of RDO and autoinstall. A suggested way to manage program autoinstall is to continue to use RDO for existing program definitions and for installing groups containing related programs. Use autoinstall as you develop and install new applications, and in test environments, where you might otherwise install large numbers of programs at CICS startup.
If your application has a LOT of programs to autoinstall, you can reduce the time the first transaction requires by using PPT entries -- it all depends.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby mongan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm

We do not use autoinstall, this gives us control what programs are being used, etc. Furthermore we can assign the programs to a group, clustering transactions, maps, and programs together. Usually when you use a new program you will also use a new transaction, which probably will involve RACF entries. It depends on site policies, etc. Another advantage that I can see is that I have a list in my CICS statistics of ALL the programs and see if they are being used or not. New programs are really not that often, at least not in our shop.
mongan

Postby xboss » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks for you input Mongan. But help me out here, do you mean if your program is coming via program autoinstall than it will not show up in CICS regions statistics. Even we have CICS region statistics but I haven't noticed that.

Thanks.
xboss

Postby mongan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:40 pm

No, quite the oposite. If you have a program that is not being used it will not be auto installed and therefore it will not appear in your CICS statistiks. How are you going to determine if the program is a CICS program, if it has been used, will be used, has never been used? Our CICS is terminated at 20:00 und we evaluate the CICS statistiks daily, processing the information also for a monthly and yearly report. In both the monthly and yearly report we see when the program was last used, if at all. Valuable information in determining if a program can be deleted or not.
mongan

Postby xboss » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Got it. Thanks, Mongan and all.
xboss

Return to CICS