Pgm needed - throw a temporary warning message

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

Pgm needed - throw a temporary warning message

Postby debasishdash » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:27 am

Hi All,
I have searched the forums but did not find relevant answers, being a new programmer, could someone advice me to proceed in a direction

I have 2 fields - Date of birth & Incurred date. I need to subtract them and check if it is above 95. If yes, the user should see a warning message. The user again presses the ENTER button, which will then allow him to write the data in table, ignoring the message.

I have completed the age computation part, but can someone tell me how to throw a temporary warning message? I can throw a message which freezes the screen. But in this case it should be temporary, as if anyone presses ENTER button after the message is displayed, the data will be written to the DB2 table.

Thank You
debasishdash

Re: Pgm needed - throw a temporary warning message

Postby BillyBoyo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Please don't try to draw attention to your post by "shouting" in CAPS to make it more noticeable. The effect will be the opposite.

If you need a program, write it, or pay someone to write it.

I see you have done something, despite the subject you have given.

Please explain, more exactly, what the problem is. What do you feel a "permanent warning message" would be that would make a "temporary" one different, for instance?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Can you not simply add a bit of code to your existing program to present the warning and then check what the response from the user is?

CICS does NOT "throw" things . . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:21 am

Nothing on the maiframe throws anything - except operators who might throw a 'wobbly'!
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby debasishdash » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:16 am

BillyBoyo wrote:Please don't try to draw attention to your post by "shouting" in CAPS to make it more noticeable. The effect will be the opposite.

If you need a program, write it, or pay someone to write it.

I see you have done something, despite the subject you have given.

Please explain, more exactly, what the problem is. What do you feel a "permanent warning message" would be that would make a "temporary" one different, for instance?

Hello Billy,
Which part of my query tried to draw your attention? and which part made you think that I was "SHOUTING IN CAPS". I hardly wrote anything in CAPS except for the "ENTER", just to symbolize that it is a button.
I wonder how you became a Global Moderator. Out of your 2123 posts, around 2000 are just about "you shouting at others not to use CAPS"
It will be more helpful of you post some real answers.
As far the the pgm is concerned, i never asked anyone to write down the whole pgm, i just needed a way to approach. I can pay you to write it, but I do not think you are too busy in finding other's fault rather than helping them.

Thank You Billy
debasishdash

Postby debasishdash » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:16 am

dick scherrer wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum,

Can you not simply add a bit of code to your existing program to present the warning and then check what the response from the user is?

CICS does NOT "throw" things . . .

I am working on it, will post some part of my code
Thank you
debasishdash

Postby NicC » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:51 pm

If that was the ratio of Bilyboyo's complaining about shouting posts to all his posts then he should have done it about 20 times this last week and he has only done it once - although I did wonder why having read you post but I thought that maybe someone had edited to remove the capitalisation. I suggest that you go through all his posts and point out the "around 2000" shouting complaints otherwise apologise for the gross misrepresentation.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic

These users thanked the author NicC for the post:
BillyBoyo (Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:24 pm)
NicC
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Unfortunately I assumed that our TS would remember they had typed the entire Subject in in Capitals - which I subsequently spent time editing so that others would not be annoyed at them - the same subject which says "Pgm needed" but apparently was not asking for code...

I also asked questions as a means of understanding better what was required so that assistance could better be offered.

As I said, the effect of using Caps in the subject, or otherwise trying to glorify your own post to get attention, has the opposite effect. Next time debasishdash makes such errors of judgement, I should just leave them to it.

I note that debasishdash is unable to research, or even count, so perhaps that is why they are so desperate for help as to write the subject in Caps, asking "PGM NEEDED" and then forget about it all later.

Research, counting and remembering are all skills that you will need, so brush up on them, urgently.

EDIT: Just for fun I searched my posts for "shout*". It comes up with eight posts, including this topic :-)

EDIT again: 29 posts mention "shout*", from seven users pointing out "shouting" plus Admin listing it in the rules for using the site. To my surprise, I am the most regular critic :-)
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Is it? Could it be? Our Friday troll is back?
Ed Goodman

Return to CICS