PPT Entries into a Dataset

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

PPT Entries into a Dataset

Postby freelar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:16 am

I need a way to get all PPT entries in a CICS region into a dataset, I've been looking but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks, Rickey
freelar

Re: PPT Entries into a Dataset

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:21 am

read the manuals about the functions of DFHCSDUP

System definition file utility program (DFHCSDUP)
The CICS® system definition utility program, DFHCSDUP, is a component of resource definition online (RDO). DFHCSDUP is an offline utility program that allows you to read from and write to a CICS system definition (CSD) file, either while CICS is running or while it is inactive.

You can use the DFHCSDUP program to:

ADD a group to the end of a named list in a CSD file
ALTER attributes of an existing resource definition
APPEND a group list from one CSD file to a group list in another, or in the same, CSD file
COPY all of the resource definitions in one group or several generically named groups to another group or several other generically named groups in the same, or in a different, CSD file
DEFINE a single resource, or a group of resources, on the CSD
DELETE from the CSD a single resource definition, all of the resource definitions in a group, or all of the group names in a list
EXTRACT data from the CSD and pass it to a user program for processing
INITIALIZE a new CSD file, and add to it CICS-supplied resource definitions
LIST selected resource definitions, groups, and lists
MIGRATE the contents of a table from a CICS load library to a CSD file
LIST a specific APAR
REMOVE a single group from a list on the CSD file
SCAN all IBM®-supplied groups and user defined groups for a resource. The definition of the matched resource in an IBM supplied group is compared to the definition(s) of the corresponding matched resource in the user groups.
SERVICE a CSD file when necessary
UPGRADE the CICS-supplied resource definitions in a primary CSD file for a new release of CICS
VERIFY a CSD file by removing internal locks on groups and lists.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby freelar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks, I'll look at the manual but it's not likely i'll have access to the RDO function or the CSD file. I was hoping there would be a IBM utility program that I could run and it list out all PPTs for a CICS regions.
I want to get these entries loaded into a VSAM file, retrieve DFHPG0209 auto install messages and read the VSAM file to see if the auto installed entry is found or not.

Thanks again, Rickey
freelar

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 am

but it's not likely i'll have access to the RDO function or the CSD file.

and how in heaven do You expect to carry on the assignment, without accessing the source of the info ? :mrgreen:

I was hoping there would be a IBM utility program that I could run and it list out all PPTs for a CICS regions.

DFHCSDUP is that utility

if You were assigned the task of analyzing the <PPT> that same person should make sure that You have the proper authorization

why not ask Your CICS support group about it ???
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:03 am

I cannot decide if you are serious -- if so, you have MUCH to learn about IT and IBM mainframes; if not, we could all use a good laugh.

As you have been told, the CSD file is the ONLY source of the information you seek as of quite a few releases of CICS ago (PPT tables haven't been used for a number of years), and DFHCSDUP is the ONLY IBM utility to extract program / transaction / file / etc definitions from the CSD file. You do not need access to RDO, but without access to the CSD file you cannot, under any circumstances, accomplish the task you have been given.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby freelar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm serious and learning the hard way. So for 6 months on 4 or 5 assignments I've asked for access to files, libraries, etc... without any luck. The CICS group is outsourced to another company, to get any type of access to anything is an exercise in futility, throw in auditors and I"m lucky I can just login.
The assignment is to gather data on PPT auto install messages from CICS regions, then tell the outsourced vendor these PPTs need to be added because we're shutting off auto install per auditors.
The first LPAR 99.9% of auto installed messages are for PPT entries that exist, these messages aren't coming from the the original applicaiton, when there were PPT tables, but show due to a distributed system using mainframe programs/maps. I wanted to automate checking DFHPG0209 auto install messages against a file of PPT entries existing instead of having to go into every CICS region to determine if the entry is there or not.
I will see if I can access the CSD file, if not I'll just go see if the PPT exists manually like I've been doing.

*** Maybe I'm in the wrong forum is there one for beginners? I've had this position in infastructure for 6 months so I expect I do have a lot to learn and don't want to keep
asking dumb questions on here.

Thanks, Rickey
freelar

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 am

Hello,

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum is there one for beginners?
This IS our beginner forum . . .

Sounds like you have been dumped in "over your head".

Be persistent. Someone is usually here when there are questions.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CICS