New to CICS, good guide to start

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

New to CICS, good guide to start

Postby bertusluca » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi, I am new to CICS.
I am a java developer and I have to develop a java program in a CICS environment. I have already found a book about java programming on CICS environment, but first I want understand how the CICS works..

I have taken already a look in documentation section of this site, but there are so much guides that I don't know which is the right choice to starting understand how CICS works.

What is a good manual to begin to understand how the CICS works (principles, architecture, ecc..)?

Thank you in advance.
bertusluca

Re: New to CICS, good guide to start

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

When most people start using CICS, they are already familiar (if not fluent) with what is happening on the mainframe.

There are many different ways different organizations have installed/customized the CICS environments. You need to talk with some mainframe developers and learn about what you have available. Possibly someone else has written some Java/CICS process(es) that could be used as a model.

If you go to http://murach.com/books/index.htm, there are s couple of good CICS books. Doug Lowe has written some excellent material. Long ago Alida Jatach had a CICS book that was quite good for beginners.

Be prepared for some frustration as CICS is a unique beast.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby bertusluca » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Thank you,
Following your advice I looked into Murach website and I found what I believe is the perfect manual for my needs "Murach's CICS Desk Reference" although I think I'll have to learn a little of COBOL if I want to really understand how the CICS works :)
bertusluca

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 pm

You're welcome :)

although I think I'll have to learn a little of COBOL if I want to really understand how the CICS works
Yup. And it will also help to become acquainted with people who do CICS development and support (probably different people).

Good luck!

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CICS