withdraw program. multiple instances?

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

withdraw program. multiple instances?

Postby tivrfoa » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:11 am

Hi,

I just started doing some COBOL code. I just code and transfer from to test environment and then production.
I have no idea how the program works in production. :oops: Not the logic of the code. What I'm wondering is how many instances of a program are loaded.
What I guess is that it's a configuration, like program A can have 10 thousand instances loaded, and if more are requested, the requests enter a queue.
Can the configuration be by program?
For example a withdraw program from a bank. Imagine it has like 50 thousand simultaneous access (between the same second). Is it CICS that handle this?
How it would work in this case? And then if a peak access happens, like 150k/sec?
Could you please share a link that explains how theses multiples online requests are handled?

Thank you!
tivrfoa

Re: withdraw program. multiple instances?

Postby Robert Sample » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:56 am

In general, CICS will only have one copy of a program loaded into memory at a time. That program may be executed many times simultaneously by different transactions at different terminals, but (usually) it is still only one copy. It is possible to have multiple copies of a program loaded into memory in CICS, but this is not normally done. Multiple processing of a program is normal in CICS -- find out what reentrancy means -- and CICS limits simultaneous program usage in various ways. These limits include how many simultaneous transactions can execute in a CICS region at one time, along with storage (memory) limitations, and so forth.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
tivrfoa (Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:26 am)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: withdraw program. multiple instances?

Postby Terry Heinze » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 pm

As Robert has said, there is usually only 1 copy of a program loaded at any given time, and multiple users of that program each have their own copies of WORKING STORAGE.
.... Terry

These users thanked the author Terry Heinze for the post:
tivrfoa (Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 pm)
Terry Heinze

Return to CICS