Dataset with record length > 32760

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

Dataset with record length > 32760

Postby indra_nsec » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 am

Hi,

Can anyone please suggest the possible ways to allocate dataset which can have record length more than 32760. I need to allocate record length of 640000.
indra_nsec

Re: Dataset with record length > 32760

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:36 am

The only way that it would be possible would be to give the data set a format of variable blocked/spanned (VBS). If you tell us what you are trying to achieve, we may be able to suggest a realistic alternative.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:32 am

The physical I/O model used with IBM mainframes makes the use of records > 64K bytes very difficult; the software data management model makes it difficult to use records > 32760.

In 40+ years using IBM mainframes I have never encountered a situation where either the hardware limits or software limits needed to be exceeded; I very much doubt this is true in your potential application.

If you can provide more details we can probably give you realistic advice.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby indra_nsec » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:28 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I am trying to write the record to a dataset and upload MQ via batch job. The record will be 640k long.
indra_nsec

Postby Pedro » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:25 pm

I am not familiar with MQ...

But many utilities support a continuation character. For example, in TSO, it is a plus sign (or minus sign). Add the continuation character at the end of the line and the utility knows to read the next line and append it to this line. Add a continuation character at the end of each line until you complete the entire logical record.

I googled for 'mq continuation character' and found this:
When you are using the command interpreter runmqsc to enter administration commands, a + at the end of a line indicates that the next line is a continuation. Ensure that there is a space between the last parameter and the continuation character.
I am not sure if that is what you are referring to.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Pedro » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 pm

You asked "possible ways to allocate dataset which can have record length more than 32760", but your real question was 'how to submit a long command to MQ'.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Return to TSO & ISPF