IND$FILE

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

IND$FILE

Postby rfernan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Running IND$FILE, PC to HOST, IND$FILE canceled whith message
Running message is issued:
INDFT018 Incorrect option specified: file transfer Canceled
Environment:
Windows 7 / ZOS 10
File transfer: File Path: d: \ oooo.txt
Destination: RFERNAN.PASO pds:
PO RECFM = FB
LRECL = 80
BLKSIZE = 27920

Can someone help ??
rfernan

Re: IND$FILE

Postby steve-myers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:35 pm

I think you ran it incorrectly. You must realize that you, as a TSO user, do not enter the IND$FILE command. It is created and submitted by the terminal emulator program when you tell the emulator you want to do a file transfer. The exact process you use to tell the terminal emulator you want to do a file transfer depends on the terminal emulator you use. If you tell us what terminal emulator you use someone should be able to tell you what to do.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby rfernan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks Steve, I am using IBM PERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS emulator
best regards
RFF
rfernan

Postby steve-myers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 pm

OK. I haven't used PCOMM for more than 10 years, so I can't help you. Other people that watch this forum should be able to pick up this thread and help you.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby rfernan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:14 am

Ok Steve, I wait..
best regards
RFF
rfernan

Postby Terry Heinze » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:56 am

I use Attachmate Reflection for IBM, but I found this by "Binging" your error msg:
http://ibmmainframes.com/about31027.html
Hope it helps.
.... Terry
Terry Heinze

Postby steve-myers » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 am

Almost all terminal emulators (including PCOMM) have a file transfer menu invoked from the menu pull downs at the top of emulator window. I remember using the PCOMM file transfer menu, but how I got to it has faded into oblivion, though you should be able to find it by looking through the menu pull downs. PCOMM also provides the TRANSMIT and RECEIVE commands you can use from the Windows CMD screen and in .BAT files started from the CMD window.

The file transfer menus for all emulators have the same general information since they all feed the IND$FILE TSO command, but the details are somewhat different. My very faded memory of PCOMM is their menu was relatively unfriendly, but that was back in the 20th century. Maybe it has improved.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby vern » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:10 pm

rfernan, you say you're transferring to a PDS. I can't get it to work either when I specify target as my.pds(member).
If this is a one-off then allocate as a flat file and copy into pds manually.
vern

Postby steve-myers » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:24 pm

vern wrote:rfernan, you say you're transferring to a PDS. I can't get it to work either when I specify target as my.pds(member).
If this is a one-off then allocate as a flat file and copy into pds manually.
As an experiment I
  • Transferred a member of a text PDS to my work station.
  • Transferred the text file to a different PDS as a text file.
Just a few thoughts.
  • As with FTP, IND$FILE does text transfers and "binary" transfers. You do a text transfer when you specify the ASCII and CRLF options. These are probably not the default options. I won't venture to guess how many times I've screwed up a transfer by not using these options correctly.
  • You cannot transfer an entire PDS to to your wokstation.
  • You cannot transfer a load module even as a binary file. It is useless on a workstation, and if you attempt to transfer the image back to the mainframe, IND$FILE will not put it back correctly.
  • When you use IND$FILE to allocate a data set, the DCB attributes it assigns are probably not the DCB attributes you want. Pre allocate the data set with DCB attributes you want.
  • When you do a text transfer to your workstation, IND$FILE trims trailing blanks by default. There is an option, NOTRUNC you can specify to negate this default behavior.
  • You can do a binary transfer of a data set with RECFM=V, but you cannot correctly restore the data set. You can do a text transfer of a data set with RECFM=V and correctly restore it
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF