deactivate commands on ispf

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

deactivate commands on ispf

Postby aradhana11 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:13 pm

i have a skeleton jcl. The user provides input parameters and they are accordingly replaced in the skeleton. The output jcl is then showed to the user (using either address ispexec view dataset or address ispexec edit dataset in rexx) in edit/view mode. The user can then type 'sub' on the command line and therefore submit the jcl. But i dont want to let the user submit the jcl. Is there a way i can deactivate the 'sub' command so that the user cannot submit the jcl?
aradhana11

Re: deactivate commands on ispf

Postby prino » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:33 am

Much better solution: Never give your tool to the users in the first place! After all, what's the use of being able to generate JCL and look at it, without being able to submit it?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:44 am

well, lets' s see ...
You developed something where ...
the user enters some data, and at the end You do not want the user do anything with it :o
why develop the whole shebang ???
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Mickeydusaor » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:54 am

that about sums it up Robert and Enrico
Mickeydusaor

Postby Pedro » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:21 pm

The user can always CUT and PASTE it to someplace where they can submit it, so I do not think there is a reason to prevent it in the first place.

It is not clear what the JCL does, but you normally use RACF to protect data sets from being incorrectly accessed. Protecting the JCL is an ineffective security practice. That is, the user should be able to submit but then get RACF violations for not being allowed access to the data. Why? Because the user can always use different JCL, different programs, etc... to try to access the data; it is the data that needs protection.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Pedro » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:08 pm

Is there a way i can deactivate the 'sub' command

1. when you start VIEW, specify the MACRO parameter. Specify the name of your initial editor macro.
/* rexx */                               
Address ISPEXEC                           
"VIEW DATASET(pnch.cntl) MACRO(mymac1)"   

2. Write an initial editor macro. Here is an example:
/* rexx */               
Address ISREDIT           
"MACRO"                   
"DEFINE SUBMIT DISABLED" 

Where the DEFINE statement is used to disable the SUBMIT command. SUB is an alias of SUBMIT and is also disabled at the same time.

Another useful function of the DEFINE statement is to define alternate processing for some commands.
/* rexx */               
Address ISREDIT           
"MACRO"                   
"DEFINE USRSUBMT MACRO
"DEFINE SUBMIT ALIAS USRSUBMT" 

Where you have a macro called USRSUBMT that may do something in addition to the actual SUBMIT. For example, you can log the name of the user and the name of the file. Or perhaps, you can do some quality checking of the JCL before actually doing the SUBMIT. I leave it up to your imagination.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Return to TSO & ISPF