Creating PS file via FTP command line

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

Creating PS file via FTP command line

Postby vishal_bedre » Sun May 27, 2018 10:18 am

Hello Respected Members:

Is there any way to create a flat file using FTP quote site command.
My requirement is to create a PS file of LRECL=32721 and then transfer foreg: C:\Extractfile.Txt. (From Windows to Mainframe).

I tried with quote command and was able to create a PS file and transfer the .TXT file, but when i open the PS file in mainframe to check the data, I found that.
1: The first character on the first line is "~" and
2: The data in the PS file is not editable(after opening it in EDIT mode).
3: If I do a searched for a string(which is already present in the file), it says string not found.

For the above 2,3 points, I issued a command as ( C ALL p'.' ' ') and i can see that the PS file is editable and the search text is working.(but does this guarantee the correct file - need kind suggestions) or I think, there is something wrong with my quote command or may be I am missing some functionality.

Pls note: MrSpock tried http://www.ibmmainframeforum.com/jcl/topic4559.html creating PDS file via FTP command line.
vishal_bedre

Re: Creating PS file via FTP command line

Postby NicC » Sun May 27, 2018 1:49 pm

1 - What has this to do with ANNOUNCEMENTS/ Suggestions & Feedback?
2- They are data sets not 'files'. File are on linux, unix and windows NOT z/OS except in specific cicumstances eg streams of data to/from modems

Moving somewhere else that is more appropriate.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Sun May 27, 2018 6:37 pm

Is there any way to create a flat file using FTP quote site command.
Yes, use the QUOTE SITE to specify the required parameters and z/OS will create the data set.

Since you did NOT provide us with the details of what you did (such as the exact QUOTE SITE values you used, nor the FTP commands you used), that is about all we can tell you. The fact that your data set is wrong is a function of what you did, not what the system is capable of.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby vasanthz » Tue May 29, 2018 11:21 pm

Show us the input file and the Mainframe dataset in hex format. Also the FTP statements that you are using. We would be able to help you with that.

They are data sets not 'files'. File are on linux, unix and windows NOT z/OS except in specific cicumstances eg streams of data to/from modems

I know terminology is important in IT. But I've seen many of my experienced co-workers use the term file interchangeably with dataset. I believe it is ok, and not bother about it.
Even programming languages like SAS use INFILE, OUTFILE, FILENAME statements when referencing mainframe datasets.
vasanthz

Return to TSO & ISPF