How to view a job which uses a dataset?

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

How to view a job which uses a dataset?

Postby miles » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Hello folks -- can someone help me out please... I have a GDS which was created via FTP process, however it hung so I killed it on 'initiating' side (not z/OS). GDS says 'Data set in use' since then. I can find out the ID using F1 F1. Now... I have tried to restart FTP, again using relative addressing (+1) for GDG, however it failed and message passed from FTP was '450 Data set <snip>G1746V00 is allocated to another job and is unavailable for STOR command'. GDS name was one higher than previous, locked one - that guy was G1745V00. I don't see G1746V00 in ISPF, so assume it's not catalogued at all.

This makes me think there's a process/job out there which keeps whole GDG in use. Is there a way how to find out what's holding up G1745V00 and more importantly, how to release the lock? I can get to the ID which shows up in F1 F1, but am not sure if that will help - will TSO logon from that ID 'take over' and release the locks once I log off of that ID?

Many thanks in advance...
miles

Re: How to view a job which uses a dataset?

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:15 pm

on the ISPF command line...
TSO ISRDDN
after that
ENQ
and follow the instructions
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF