TSO RECEIVE into GDS?

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

TSO RECEIVE into GDS?

Postby miles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:09 pm

I seem can't find answer on this anywhere: is it possible to receive a dataset 'into' GDS? I have GDG base created and would like to receive data sent by TSO XMIT into G0002V00 generation of this GDG (doesn't exist yet). I have tried DSN(GDG.BASE(+1)), DATASET(GDG.BASE(+1)), the same with (0) just in case (though pretty sure that's not supposed to work), but none of this leads to success.

Something tells me that if I 'hardcode' the GDS name in DSN command, it will not be considered as last generation in GDG by the system. I.e. if I did TSO RECEIVE and used parameter DSN(GDG.BASE.G0002V00), it would store the data, but JCL would not 'resolve' GDG.BASE(0) as G0002V00, but rather G0001V00. I'm not positive on this, but think I've experienced this in the past.

Is it possible to receive/store data into GDG(+1) using TSO RECEIVE command at all?

Thanks in advance for any help...
miles

Re: TSO RECEIVE into GDS?

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:33 pm

From the TSO/E Commands manual:
Note: Except for the DELETE and LISTCAT commands, TSO/E does not support generation data group (GDG) data sets.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby miles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Responding to my own post, the only 'proper' solution appears to be to receive a dataset into 'normal' dataset and then rename it using relative addressing [(+1)] - that will do the trick.
miles

Postby MrSpock » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 pm

miles wrote:... if I did TSO RECEIVE and used parameter DSN(GDG.BASE.G0002V00), it would store the data ...

Yes, AFAIK, this would work. G0002V00 would be cataloged as a new generation for the base, and should be handled by the system as any other GDG would be.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF