How to make a default browse to a dataset.

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

How to make a default browse to a dataset.

Postby Viswanathchandru » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 am

Dear all,

I'm curious to know, we could have seen when we try opening some load modules of system in a "E"(edit) or "V"(view) mode it automatically makes it into Browse mode and saying "Browse Substituted". How this is getting activated. I dont think the security server(RACF,ACF2 etc) could be the reason. But what is the reason behind this. Is that invoking some macros for sensitive datasets? Can anyone tell me how this happens. So, that i can also try it in my shop :) Not sure whether this is the right place to shoot this question. If not kindly transfer this to the relevant topic. Thanks!

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: How to make a default browse to a dataset.

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:41 am

The security server has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor does it have anything to do with "sensitive datasets", whatever those are (it's not clear how you are defining the term, and the security server usually protects system resources so there's no need for anything additional for "sensitive datasets").

The explanation is quite simple: TSO/ISPF will not allow you to view or edit any data set with RECFM=U, nor view / edit any data set with an LRECL less than 10. If ISPF detects an attempt to do so, it automatically substitutes browse for view / edit.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:03 am

So, that i can also try it in my shop

I am not sure what you thought you could try. Perhaps use a rexx program like this:
n = listdsi(mydsn)
If sysrecfm = "U" then
   Address ISPEXEC "BROWSE ..."
Else
   Address ISPEXEC "VIEW ..."
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby NicC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:22 pm

What message did you get when you pressed PF1?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello Robert,Pedro and NicC thanks for addressing the post.

Robert: Yes it was a RECFM 'U' and so i was not able to edit or view it. What i mean by sensitive dataset is that it was a system load modules say the linklibs. And i didnt try all the Load library (user library) hence i thought because of system sensitive load module its getting opened as Default Browse.

Pedro: Thanks for the codes. That could help me in my implementations. :)

NicC: I didnt get any error code. Rather it was displaying "Browse substituted" Now i can understand the reason for that. Thanks all for educating me!

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby NicC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 pm

I didn't ask if you got an error code I asked what you got when you pressed PF1 which should have given you a long message explaining why browse was substituted. I've just done it and the message displayed is similar to Robert's. A little self-help - especially using the help key - could save a lot of hassle.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:47 pm

when you pressed PF1 which should have given you a long message

If you get a short message in the upper right, and while the short message is still displayed, you can press F1 to get the long text that is part of the same message.

It also helps to issue MSGID ON beforehand. With MSGID ON, when you press F1 as described above, the message number will also be displayed. If you do not understand the long message text, you can search for an explanation using LOOKAT: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/lookat/
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby vas_v9 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:07 pm

@Viswa: I guess if a dataset is APF protected and when you try to edit it, BROWSE will be substituted automatically.
vas_v9

Postby prino » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:11 pm

vas_v9 wrote:@Viswa: I guess if a dataset is APF protected and when you try to edit it, BROWSE will be substituted automatically.

Spuit 11 geeft ook nog modder...
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby Pedro » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 pm

I guess if a dataset is APF protected and when you try to edit it, BROWSE will be substituted automatically.

Not true.

It is okay to guess on your own, but guessing in public is not. It will confuse others that read your post.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Next

Return to TSO & ISPF