NO SPACE in DIRECTORY

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

NO SPACE in DIRECTORY

Postby apjohn1986 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:12 pm

When i saving data in a new member, i got error msg like 'NO SPACE in DIRECTORY'. Is there any way to expand my PDS size or compress existing data, so that i can save my data?
Thanks,
John
apjohn1986

Re: NO SPACE in DIRECTORY

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:26 pm

ask Your support for the practices in use...
the best approach is to copy the current PDS to a new one with a larger number of directory blocks
and do a double rename
copy <current> to <new>
rename <current> to <bak>
rename <new> to <current>
after having checked that everything works ... delete <bak>

even if it is possible quite a few organization frown upon <in place> mangling of things
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby apjohn1986 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:46 pm

thanks enrico..........
Thanks,
John
apjohn1986

Postby jaggz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Try with FIXPDS tool available at CBTTAPE.ORG site which can increase the size of current PDS.
jaggz

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:17 pm

Try with FIXPDS tool available at CBTTAPE.ORG site which can increase the size of current PDS.

I wonder why people answer basing the answer on pure technical grounds, disregarding completely organizational issues :evil:

to use the FIXPDS tool You would need to ...
have access to CBTTAPE.ORG
the capability of downloading from an url and upload to a MF dataset,
the permission to install NON CERTIFIED software on the system (*)
add as many more concerns/organization rules as You wish

on the forums it is always better to provide solutions based on a vanilla (no additional products) environment

(*) in most organization it would be the primary showstopper
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 pm

You can remove ISPF directory statistics. This changes the size of each PDS directory entry to 12 bytes from 42 bytes. However many sites would discourage or prohibit such foolishness. You can't mess with the user data in load module directory entries: program fetch and contents management require this data. Those are the most common users of user data in PDS directory entries.

The CA version of IEBCOPY provides a tool to add PDS directory blocks. It's kind of dangerous since it may have to move the first physical members to create the space for the new directory blocks, but this is less dangerous than "compressing" a PDS since fewer members are moved.

I am not familiar with the FIXPDS utility in CBTTAPE.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:19 pm

FIXPDS of the PDS utility on the CBTTAPE also moves physical members to create the space for the additional directory blocks. If this product is not installed at the site, it certainly should be installed ONLY by an authorized system programmer after appropriate management approval. If it is available, it will allow a PDS to acquire more directory blocks without the need for copying off and back -- but as has been pointed out, this increases the risk should the software have a problem while moving the PDS members around.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:37 am

Hello,

No matter how you proceed - create a backup of the pds before doing anything. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:18 pm

enrico-sorichetti wrote:ask Your support for the practices in use...
the best approach is to copy the current PDS to a new one with a larger number of directory blocks
and do a double rename
copy <current> to <new>
rename <current> to <bak>
rename <new> to <current>
after having checked that everything works ... delete <bak>

even if it is possible quite a few organization frown upon <in place> mangling of things

For the new dataset, specify LIBRARY rather than PDS. This will create a PDSE, which does not have the same directory problems as a PDS.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby steve-myers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Pedro wrote:... For the new dataset, specify LIBRARY rather than PDS. This will create a PDSE, which does not have the same directory problems as a PDS.
True, and you never have to "compress" it, but PDSE generally requires much more space than a corresponding PDS, and requires more CPU time to process.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Next

Return to TSO & ISPF