nested menu panels, returning to original

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

nested menu panels, returning to original

Postby halfteck » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi all. I'm trying to amend someone else's ISPF code. functionally what this does is from MENU SELECTION PANEL 1, user selects from a choice of options, that displays a second panel, also menu selcetion. From the users choice ON THE SECONDARY PANEL, DIFFERENT JOBS ARE SUBMITTED, on pressing enter, (aftere rfeceiving *** following the job submission) we revert back to menu panel 2. I want to go back to nemu panel 1, the manuals describe using SELECT to return to the original menu panel, but this doesnt seem to work.
halfteck

Re: nested menu panels, returning to original

Postby NicC » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 pm

In what way does it not 'seem to work'? What have you coded that 'doesn't seem to work'? Without seeing what you have done and the result how do you expect us to help you?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby halfteck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Thats a fair point, thanks. Maybe i should re-phrase the question. Is there a way, from an ISPF menu selection panel, to display a second menu selection panel, respond to that panel, (which in this case runs some REXX to submit a job) and then return to the initial menu panel, not re display the second, as i cant think of how its done. I mentioned the SELECT service earlier as the manuals give this as a way of doing just that but i cant see any examples. Also my attempt failed as i coded SELECT PANEL(XXXXXDX) in the PROC section of the panel, and was kindly given a syntax error.

Invalid parameter
'SELECT PANEL(F5200P10)' contains unrecognized parameter.
halfteck

Postby mongan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Just off the top of my head - maybe you could queue an EXIT or something like that, I personally do not think it is such a good idea, it could confuse your users, and what if they want to do something else on the second panel after selecting your entry?
mongan

Postby halfteck » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 pm

I appreciate the thought, i did try adding the EXIT here and there, but it didnt help. The reason i want to return to the first panel, is exactly because the users wont want to do anything further from the second panel. In fact that is the crux of the problem, by returning to the job submission menu panel they cannot remember whether they have submitted a job or not, so tend to submit it again. I then have to pick up those pieces and resolve it.
halfteck

Postby NicC » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Then move the function to the first menu or provide another function on the second menu so that they can check that they submitted a job - but the job submitted message should be sufficient indication to them that they did, in fact, submit it. And what is to stop them going back in to the second menu to submit the job again? You could try removing the option before re-displaying the menu.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:37 pm

using the "SELECT PANEL" approach the dialog navigation rule are those enforced by ISPF period
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby halfteck » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated
halfteck

Postby Maxime B » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:53 am

Another option is to set the variable ZPARENT to whatever panel you want in your panel definition. This way, when the END command is issued, it will go back to the panel specified by the ZPARENT variable. However, if you do that, you must explicitly copy this variable to the shared pool of ISPF with a VPUT statement : VPUT (ZPARENT) SHARED.
Maxime B

Return to TSO & ISPF