ISPF Characteristics Deletion Log

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

ISPF Characteristics Deletion Log

Postby chinkump » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Issue: In our shop we use to code the components in a PDS. The PDS is common to all the users and multiple users make change in the members.
After making changes in the PDS members people use command 'G' to delete the ISPF characteristics. This creates a lot of problem as it is not possible to know who is the culprit. Can some one please suggest me some idea to make a log of all the users who used command 'G' along with the component name for which it was used.

Many Thanks in Advance.
chinkump

Re: ISPF Characteristics Deletion Log

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:22 pm

I suspect the answer to your question is that no, it is not possible to find out who used a particular ISPF command on a particular PDS.

Your site desperately needs to implement a source code library and change management system. Either purchase one and install it, or build your own (which takes quite a lot of time to do it right), but stop thinking of PDS updates as anything other than a way to guarantee source code loss sooner or later.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby chinkump » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks Robert for your quick responce. Is it possible to deactivate the command 'G' ?
chinkump

Postby NicC » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Your 'command' G is a local in-house program - just get a responsible person to remove it from the ISPF concatenation for commands.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:23 pm

SCLM is provided free as part of ISPF - it probably just needs customization. See the ISPF manuals.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Pedro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:39 am

remove it from the ISPF concatenation for commands.

Removing the 'G' command will not solve the problem. The guilty person can just issue STATS OFF command from the editor. Or use ISPF option 3.5 to remove the statistics.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Return to TSO & ISPF