Is there Include against exclude in TSO?

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

Is there Include against exclude in TSO?

Postby Mehdi shri » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:52 am

Dear friends
I want to insert a column from an excell sheet to a source.(A JCL)
But I must put them at special lines for example every 4 line I must paste a cell value in position 10 to 20 of my dataset.(my JCL).
How I can remove temporary lines so only lines that I want to paste into, retained. And after pasting my values how I can restore temorary removed lines.
I use "X" command to exclude but there is a dashed line apear for excluded lines.How I can remove this daeshed line.(NOT deleting this lines only temporary remove thoes)
And how I can resotore excluded lines so I can see thems?
Mehdi shri

Re: Is there Include against exclude in TSO?

Postby prino » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:57 am

How about reading a manual? Or pressing PF1 while in Edit and reading about all primary commands?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby BillyBoyo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:02 am

If you follow Prino's suggestions, you'll find out how to exclude the dashed-line.

If you continue, as I think he's hinting, you'll come to a lot about the Change command which should help you. There is no need to "paste" onto every line, you would be able to do it with one Change command, without having to make the excluded lines invisible anyway.

Look at the Help, look at the manual. Experiment. If you get stuck, come back.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby prino » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:27 pm

BillyBoyo wrote:If you follow Prino's suggestions, you'll find out how to exclude the dashed-line.

If you continue, as I think he's hinting, you'll come to a lot about the Change command which should help you. There is no need to "paste" onto every line, you would be able to do it with one Change command, without having to make the excluded lines invisible anyway.

A change command may not work if the contents of the ExCrap cells are different, in which case a paste with the non visible excluded lines may be the only viable solution.
Robert AH Prins
prino

Postby BillyBoyo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:03 pm

I may be missing something, but it is JCL, so why not:

c nx p'====' xyza 1 4 all

This successfully obliterated:

ADFG
 D G
A 6

In one shot.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 pm

HIDE and RES - as per F1, manual, forum etc. However, if once you have hidden all your lines you want to paste you excel data over the remaining lines that does not work - you will have to paste after one line and then move all your lines one by one. Unless someone comes up with a better solution.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby prino » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 am

NicC wrote:HIDE and RES - as per F1, manual, forum etc. However, if once you have hidden all your lines you want to paste you excel data over the remaining lines that does not work - you will have to paste afetr one line and then move all your lines one by one. Unless someone comes up with a better solution.

Oh, yes, it does work. Used it many times on "that" system when I was doing volume defrags etc.
Robert AH Prins
prino

Postby NicC » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:34 am

My quick test on that system this morning was unsuccessful - may have to try again as I can see that it could be useful.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF