SDSF CPU/L Meanings

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

SDSF CPU/L Meanings

Postby freelar » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:33 pm

SDSF DA xxxx NMA1 PAG 1 CPU/L 100/ 36 LINE 1-14 (267)

I've read numerous things on what CPU/L means, amount of CPU task percentage being used, percent of time CPU is active etc...

If anyone can point me to or let me know what CPU "100" and L "36' actually are saying it would be helpful.

Thank you , Rickey

p.s. Do yo know of good documentation for using Omegaman, I used it years ago but not lately... Thanks
freelar

Re: SDSF CPU/L Meanings

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:49 pm

using the friendly PF1 from the DA panel will , after a couple of choices show ...

Display Filter View Print Options Help
 ┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
 │              HELP: Display Active Users Panel -- Fields   Panel 1 of 8      │
 │ COMMAND INPUT ===>                                                          │
 │                                                                             │
 │         The title line shows the following:                                 │
 │ SDSF DA IPO1    IP*     PAG  0   CPU/L/Z/  26/ 26/  0   LINE 1-20 (20)      │
 │         |       |        |       |                      |          |        │
 │   System ID     |        |       |                 Lines displayed |        │
 │   of system     |  Total demand  |                 or first line   |        │
 │   you are       |  paging rate   |                 if 100,000      |        │
 │   logged        |               Percentage of time                 |        │
 │   on to         |               the CPU is busy,                   |        │
 │            Systems displayed    MVS, LPAR and zAAP                 |        │
 │            (MVS value or        views                  Total lines          │
 │            SYSNAME value)                              (**** if more        │
 │                                                        than 99,999,999)     │
 │   SIO, if shown, is the total system start I/O rate.                        │
 │   PAG, SIO, and CPU values are for the system you are logged on to.         │
 │ F1 = Help             F10 = Previous          Enter = Forward               │
 │ F3 = Exit              F7 = Up                TOC = Menu                    │
 └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

and keeping on hitting ( without damaging it ) the enter key will show more details
more in the sdsf manual starting from
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/ ... index.html

and going to the bookshelf for Your zOS level
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby freelar » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:19 pm

I saw that but I'd expect a CPU to be busy 100% all the time so i must not be interpreting what that means. I have been told SDSF doesnt give a good view of CPU% used, so what does CPU busy actually mean. Thanks Rickey
freelar

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:38 pm

freelar wrote:I saw that but I'd expect a CPU to be busy 100% all the time so i must not be interpreting what that means.

Why wouid you think that? Is your shop's hardware so inadequate that it exists in a perpetual state of peggedness attempting to handle its workload?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby freelar » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:53 pm

SO your business is so slow LPAR's sit idly by with nothing to process, waste of an LPAR...

Busy as in it's processing, you know like walking you are either walking or your not,,, busy as in processng whether .0001 % or a 100% one is more busy than the other but the low end is still processing.
Anyway you're quoting things i've read i actually want to understand it and what it means I can read, your junior programmers can read, you just need to go to that next level to understand it, that's where the action is.
freelar

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 pm

freelar,

Have you noticed the sub-heading of this site?

Which are you?

If you have a question, it is good to find a good place to ask it, and to ask it well.

We can't read minds. We don't know what you have read or what you are trying to do, unless you tell us.

If you then act like you expect that we should be able to do that, and imagine things about forum members because we can't, then much of what you write will go the same way as your last.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 pm

I saw that but I'd expect a CPU to be busy 100% all the time so i must not be interpreting what that means
Freelar, I highly recommend you find the Workload Manager manual in the z/OS MVS bookshelf and read it for at least a couple of hundred pages. And then read the Redbook SG24-6472 System Programmer's Guide to: Workload Manager. You completely and totally do not understand CPU utilization.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF