Customising IBM z FTP server exits

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

Customising IBM z FTP server exits

Postby zost » Sat May 11, 2013 1:52 am

Hello,

I'd like to customize the FTP server's FTPOSTPR exit to submit a JCL when a FTP transfer has succesfully finished. One sample in C is provided. So I was thinking of modifying to submit a JCL by reading the JCL code from a predefined file and by opening and writing its contents to Internal Reader.

However, reading IBM's book "z/OS 1.12 Communications Server - IP Configuration Reference", it says "Restriction: You cannot use the System Programming C Facilities for the user exits".

1. Does anybody know what exactly that means?
    2. What does "System Programming C Facilities" exactly refer to?
    3. Does that mean that opening and using Internal Reader from the FTP exit won't be possible?

Any help and/or suggestion would be highly appreciated.
Regards.
zost

Re: Customising IBM z FTP server exits

Postby Robert Sample » Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 am

Did you look in the z/OS XL C/C++ Bookshelf? The C/C++ Language Reference manual has this to say:
FRONT_3.11 The System Programming C facility The System Programming C (SPC) facility allows you to build applications that do not require dynamic loading of z/OS Language Environment libraries. It also allows you to tailor your application for better utilization of the low-level services available on your operating system. SPC offers a number of advantages:
You can develop applications that can be executed in a customized environment rather than with z/OS Language Environment services. Note that if you do not use z/OS Language Environment services, only some built-in functions and a limited set of z/OS XL C/C++ run-time library functions are available to you.
You can substitute the z/OS XL C language in place of assembler language when writing system exit routines by using the interfaces that are provided by SPC.
SPC lets you develop applications featuring a user-controlled environment in which a z/OS XL C environment is created once and used repeatedly for C function execution from other languages.
You can utilize co-routines by using a two-stack model to write application service routines. In this model, the application calls on the service routine to perform services independent of the user. The application is then suspended when control is returned to the user application.
The C/C++ Programming Guide would be a good place to look, as well.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
zost (Sat May 11, 2013 7:00 pm)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: Customising IBM z FTP server exits

Postby zost » Sat May 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Oh, no I didn't look at those books, yet, but I'll do immediately.
Many thanks.
zost

Return to TSO & ISPF