TSO REV

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

TSO REV

Postby venkmangav » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi,

When i am using 'TSO REV' command to view the tape file, i am getting below message. Could you tell me why i am not able to view the tape file and what can be done to solve this,

Command: TSO REV 'venkat.abc.test'

ERROR MESSAGE:
"DATA SET venkat.abc.test NOT ALLOCATED, VOLUME NOT AVAILABLE+
VOLUME NECESSARY TO SATISFY YOUR REQUEST NOT ON SYSTEM, AND CANNOT BE MOUNTED"
venkmangav

Re: TSO REV

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:43 pm

because in mosts/all sites mounting tapes is not allowed for TSO
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Many sites do not allow TSO users to mount tape volumes. You need to contact your site support group and find out if your site is one of these -- if so, your request CANNOT be accomplished, period. If your site allows TSO users to allocate tape volumes, your site support group can assist you with the appropriate syntax.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby venkmangav » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks for the reply.... Robert and Ernico
venkmangav

Postby steve-myers » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:19 am

Mr. Sample and Mr. Sorichetti are giving you the straight goods. It seems like a century ago in "internet years" I created a custom logon proc that allocated a tape data set in the logon proc and I used the tape data set, though I can't recall what I did with the data set. This was so long ago I can't recall if the underlying OS was SVS or a very early MVS, but I know I did it. I'm not sure I believe SPF browse would work with a tape data set, though I believe SPF view should work.

The main reason tape mounting is not allowed for TSO users is because a tape device / tape volume is not shareable. Only one user at a time can use a tape device or tape volume, whereas many users can use a disk volume at the same time. In addition the interactive nature of TSO usage implies the resource will be used for an extended period of time compared to batch use of the resource.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF