-904 issued in work file databse

IBM's flagship relational database management system

-904 issued in work file databse

Postby eun jeong Song » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Hello,

i would like to know what is the main cause that RC code ( return code ) is still being isssued 0[normal]

despite the actual abend -904 [ resource unavailabe ] in the work file database.

For your referencfe we have recently DB2 migrated from v8 to v9 using the 4kb-pages and 32kb-pages

work file database as well.

thank you for your kind explanation in advance.
eun jeong Song

Re: -904 issued in work file databse

Postby eun jeong Song » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:09 pm

please, help me out to resolve this ASAP! thanks.
eun jeong Song

Postby Akatsukami » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

You are badly confused.

The -904 is not an abend, it is a SQLCODE; it is the easiest (if incorrect) thing in the world for a program to ignore it.

The message for the -904 SQLCODE identifies the unavailable DB2 resource and the reason for its unavailability, information that you have chosen to withhold from us, if not ignore altogether. There is no point in our attempting to help under those circumstances.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby eun jeong Song » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:15 pm

I am sorry for making you get confused!

A job result displays RC 0, which means the job ended normally. But once looking into sysout for each step, a sqlcode -904 was issued.

Could it be possible ?

I really do not have idea why it happens ~
eun jeong Song

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:30 pm

eun jeong Song, depending upon how the program is coded a step condition code of zero after a -904 SQL code is entirely possible. A non-zero step condition code means the system detected a problem (or the application program detected a problem) and set an appropriate code. If your program did not change the default code after the -904, then OF COURSE the step condition code would be zero. No, the program did not complete normally -- but that is not what a zero step condition code means, anyway. The zero step condition code merely means there were no system errors to cause a system code to be set, and the program did not explicitly set a code either (in COBOL, moving a value to RETURN-CODE would be the method to do so).

As you have been told, you have not provided any data for us to help you. AND if the problem is a resource issue, it is most likely that the ONLY source of help for you will be your site -- coworkers, team leader, managers, or site support group.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
eun jeong Song (Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:50 am)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Please note that posting a cry for assistance only 25 minutes after the initial post is unacceptable. A forum is not the place for ASAP help as people reply on their own time, for free, and if and when they choose to do so.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby eun jeong Song » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:02 am

Robert Sample wrote:eun jeong Song, depending upon how the program is coded a step condition code of zero after a -904 SQL code is entirely possible. A non-zero step condition code means the system detected a problem (or the application program detected a problem) and set an appropriate code. If your program did not change the default code after the -904, then OF COURSE the step condition code would be zero. No, the program did not complete normally -- but that is not what a zero step condition code means, anyway. The zero step condition code merely means there were no system errors to cause a system code to be set, and the program did not explicitly set a code either (in COBOL, moving a value to RETURN-CODE would be the method to do so).

As you have been told, you have not provided any data for us to help you. AND if the problem is a resource issue, it is most likely that the ONLY source of help for you will be your site -- coworkers, team leader, managers, or site support group.

Thank you so much for your reply with concrete explanation! now I fully understand thanks to you.
eun jeong Song

Postby eun jeong Song » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:08 am

NicC wrote:Please note that posting a cry for assistance only 25 minutes after the initial post is unacceptable. A forum is not the place for ASAP help as people reply on their own time, for free, and if and when they choose to do so.

Thanks for your reply. But hopefully do not push me hard such like that. You would hit on any moment you strongly
need others help, surely.
eun jeong Song

Return to DB2