Create a new index

IBM's flagship relational database management system

Create a new index

Postby vegafacundodaniel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Hello,

I have a question please. What is the criteria to create a new index on a db2 table ?

I will have to access to a db2 table using a field that is not key. It is not indexed on.

I'd want to know how I could determinate if I must to create a new index or not to improve the performance for reading.

Thanks in advance !!!
vegafacundodaniel

Re: Create a new index

Postby NicC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:47 pm

see your DBA's - they know your application's data and the DB2 setup.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby alexm » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Index design is part of a database design, and it requires a lot of environmental information. If you're interested to read some basics regarding database design (including a small section related to index design), you might have a look at developerworks "best practice" pages:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis ... ase+Design

IBM also offers documentation, online and class courses on various levels, etc. etc.

You should find DBAs or database designers in your shop that help you design indexes (and other parts of a database). There might also be tools available in your shop to explain the SQL statements your application performs most often/frequently/heavily, and this information then could be used to discuss with the DBAs and influence the design. :roll:
alexm

Postby GuyC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:36 pm

GuyC

Return to DB2