DB2 bind with different Versions.

IBM's flagship relational database management system

DB2 bind with different Versions.

Postby syannigeri » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Team,

I am having a Requirement to change a module XXXX ok. I am doing my changes and binding it with my changed package details.
Assume i am testing the module for 2 months!!.. Others who are using the baseline to test the other components will be not able to use XXXX as they need the Baseline or production version only.

Hence is it possible in DB2 to bind my package with Versions?? So that others will not be affected with my changes at least initially.

Thanks
Shankargouda
syannigeri

Re: DB2 bind with different Versions.

Postby GuyC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm

You'll need two loadmodules which have nothing to do with db2, but everything with loadlibraries.
DB2 is very well capable of supporting different versions.
I can explain it to you, but i can not understand it for you.
GuyC

Postby syannigeri » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 pm

ok, I agree with your thinking..
I need to have 2 Load modules.. I forgot to mention that if the components are Online Components. We need to move them to common library from where we will be picking the load.

Hence if i move my Changed Load. It will affect others!!. Hence whats will it be resolved by DB2 Versions??

Also, I am hearing about Db2 versions a lot!!! But nobody is explaining the things..
Can you explain whats DB2 Versions are and how it can be used ??

Thanks
Shankargouda
syannigeri

Postby NicC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23 am

Do you know the meaning of the word Version - if not, look it up in the dictionary. The usage is the same as that definition.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby syannigeri » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 am

So get me few links regarding Versions in DB2 ?? Which version of DB2 has brought this concept ??
Have you ever bound the same program with 2 different versions??
I need Instructions to do that..

Eagerly waiting for your reply!!
syannigeri

Postby NicC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:33 am

There is no such thing as a Version in DB2 - it is not a utility, command or any thing. It is the version of DB2 - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 etc.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby syannigeri » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 am

OMG!!! I am not asking of DB2 Versions dude...

Have you heard of DB2 bind versions??
syannigeri

Postby NicC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am

syannigeri wrote: I am not asking of DB2 Versions

No??? Then why this...
syannigeri wrote:So get me few links regarding Versions in DB2 ?? Which version of DB2 has brought this concept ??

But the version of DB2 that brought about the concept of versions was probably when DB2 progressed from being just DB2 to being DB2 version 1 because DB2 version 2 came along.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 am

syannigeri wrote:I am having a Requirement to change a module XXXX ok. I am doing my changes and binding it with my changed package details.
Assume i am testing the module for 2 months!!.. Others who are using the baseline to test the other components will be not able to use XXXX as they need the Baseline or production version only.

Hence is it possible in DB2 to bind my package with Versions?

Not to my knowledge. I recommend that you enquire of your senpai as to how this situation is handled in your shop. If there is no policy, I strongly recommend that someone formulate a policy, someone with enough clout to have it followed once promulgated.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:31 am

Hello,

Also, I am hearing about Db2 versions a lot!!!
Where are tyou hearing this "a lot". . . Post some quotes from articles, papers, manuals, whatever and maybe someone can clarify.

If this is an online program you can only have one of that program name in the cics region. So if you want to run "yours" but the others in the region should run "something else", nothing in the database world will help you - it is not a database issue.

OMG!!! I am not asking of DB2 Versions dude...
You are completely unclear as to just what you are asking - i believe you mentioned db2 and versions in each submission made to this topic.

All i can tell for sure is that "something" does not work the way you want it to work.

Spending some time with your dba and cics support may provide the "way to do this" on your system.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Next

Return to DB2