DCLGEN in layman terms ?

IBM's flagship relational database management system

DCLGEN in layman terms ?

Postby gauthamnagpur18 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi ,

I'm newbie to mainframes .Please explain DCLGEN in layman terms or provide me link . :roll:

Thanks in advance .
gauthamnagpur18

Re: DCLGEN in layman terms ?

Postby BillyBoyo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:20 pm

As a beginner, you'll find you'll learn more, and learn it better, if you find out how to do such things yourself.

So, try your relevant manuals. Try a search with google, whatever. Get to understand as much as you can. If you don't get it all, come back with the particular parts you don't understand.

Remember that not everything on the internet is correct. Stuff in manuals is. Stuff in manuals on the internet is. For a beginner, understanding manuals can be a bit of a grind, because they assume that the strict terms which are used are understood by the reader. So, colleagues, internet, other manuals, etc can help you understand.

Once you crack the techniques for reading manuals, you've made a big step, so it is worth the effort. The manual is right, the other stuff on the internet can be right or wrong, but either way may help you to understand. Sometimes the less worthy stuff will drive you astray, so look at quite a bit of stuff and see those which are in general agreement as more likely to be right. Remember, the manual is right. All the other stuff is about understanding the manual. Once you understand the manual, there you can with certainty do the "layman" bit yourself.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:24 pm

when happened when You googled for db2 dclgen ?
a "Mainframe Professional" as You qualify Yourself should not find such a search too difficult! :geek:
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby gauthamnagpur18 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:56 am

BillyBoyo,

Thanks for advice . I got it .

Dclgen is nothing but a table schema used by COBOL programs that work against a database. It contains two parts : The SQL declaration for a DB2 table and the COBOL COPYBOOK definition corresponding to the SQL declaration.

Note : It should be precompiled before cobol code compilation .

Would you like to add something more ?

Thank you. :D
gauthamnagpur18

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Good for you.

You almost certainly know more about DNB2 than I do, I sometimes even have trouble spelling it. If your explanation is lacking something crucial, someone who does know will help you out more, but that is what I got to when I researched your question.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to DB2