Checkpoint - Embedded Sql

IBM's flagship relational database management system

Checkpoint - Embedded Sql

Postby jaggz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:42 am

Dear All,

Could anyone share me some examples on Check Point Restart Logic ? Just an example where the repeated function requires this functionality .

Jags
jaggz

Re: Checkpoint - Embedded Sql

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:40 am

Hello,

If an environment supports checkpoint/recovery it should be standard across the environment. Developers should not try to implement "their own". Checkpoint/recovery should be coordinated thru the people responsible for data recovery.

Due to the speed of the new processors and the new dasd arrays, many organizations no longer implement checkpoint/recovery. All of the database products that i'm aware of support automatic backout of an abended process and this is sufficient for most systems.

Checkpoint/recovery is too large a topic to handle as a forum topic.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby jaggz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:01 am

Dear Dick,

I totally agree that this topic is going to be ever ending one and it is a automatic backout one. I am experimenting with a test DB2 subsystem so though if I could get a small example to check. Just a sample Program Logic would be sufficient enough to understand this concept.
jaggz

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 am

Hello,

You shouldn't need any particular sample code if the system's automatic backout is the only backout needed. There would alco be no need to issue an explicit checkpoint.

Run a batch job that updates some table(s) and cancel the job. Or force an abend (S0C7 and S0CB) are very easy to cause in a test situation.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to DB2