View unloaded table dataset problem

IBM's flagship relational database management system

View unloaded table dataset problem

Postby Kevin Q M Cai » Wed May 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Hello MF Guys,

Recently, I use DSNTIAUL utility to unloaded a table to a dataset A, but when I browse A, just some messy code I viewed, how can I view the dataset, can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks & Regards
Kevin
Kevin Q M Cai

Re: View unloaded table dataset problem

Postby Robert Sample » Wed May 08, 2013 4:31 pm

If you are expecting to see neat columns of data when you browse the data set, you need to be aware that DB2 does not unload data in human-readable format. If you are expecting something else, you need to explain in more detail -- with CODEd displays -- what it is you are expecting and what you are seeing.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello,

If you view the dataset and enter HEX ON you will be able to see all of the packed-decial or binary fields.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Kevin Q M Cai » Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Robert Sample wrote:If you are expecting to see neat columns of data when you browse the data set, you need to be aware that DB2 does not unload data in human-readable format. If you are expecting something else, you need to explain in more detail -- with CODEd displays -- what it is you are expecting and what you are seeing.
dick scherrer wrote:Hello,

If you view the dataset and enter HEX ON you will be able to see all of the packed-decial or binary fields.

Hi Robert, Dick,

what I mean is that if the table has a row like "1 2 3", when these data unloaded to dataset, I wish to view it also is "1 2 3", maybe be dataset is in HEX format, but I think if there are some methods or utilities to view the dataset.

Thanks & Regards
Kevin
Kevin Q M Cai

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm

but I think if there are some methods or utilities to view the dataset.

well Your thinking is just wrong...
wiser to stop thinking and start reading the manuals,

the unloaded data contains the data and additional control info
so You will have to bear that the unloaded thing is unreadable ASIS
and the only way to <look> at it, is with HEX on from whatever <browsing> tool You might use.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Kevin Q M Cai » Thu May 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi Enrico,

I used FileManager to view VSAM file before, VSAM file is somewhat like Table, so I think that there may be exist some utilities to help me to view the unloaded dataset. I want to try FileManager, but I don't know how, do you have any idea?

regards
Kevin
Kevin Q M Cai

Postby NicC » Thu May 09, 2013 5:47 pm

I think you need to go way back to the A B Cs of mainframe - in fact there are manuals for just that. A VSAM file is a 'container' for storing data. That data may be in plain text, biary, hex (all data is binary and hex anyway), packed decimal - whatever the program describes the data as. Tables are just data that is stored in VSAM files in whatever format DB2 wants.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 pm

so I think that there may be exist some utilities to help me to view the unloaded dataset.
Sometimes, your thinking is wrong. This is one of those times.

An unloaded data base file is generally unreadable by humans -- period. You can use hex displays and some interpretation to understand the data, but in general only character fields will be human-readable at all, and then only if the code page the data is in matches the code page of the terminal.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Thu May 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Robert Sample wrote:An unloaded data base file is generally unreadable by humans -- period.

Doesn't the real DB2 unload utility (not the DSNTIAUL program) unload to external formats by default?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Hello,

Just curious - aren't binary and packed-decimal data external formats?

Never thought about it. When data has been backed up (unloaded) it has been processed by code rather than iebiball . . . If the data was for human comsumption, it was "extracted" and usually formatted.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Next

Return to DB2