CPU Cost of a mainframe job running java program

IBM's flagship relational database management system

CPU Cost of a mainframe job running java program

Postby Nara_513 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:08 am

Hi All,

I have a Db2 query which am running through normal personal batch job . The same Db2 query am executing through a java program which is called by mainframe personal batch job .
Per my knowledge the CPU time for the programs running under USS will be calculated differently as compared to the jobs running under batch ,

I want to do the CPU offloading for normal batch jobs executing some Db2 select operation on tables by running the same through USS . Can i know whether the zIIP processor will be called when we do Db2 operation from batch ? If so running the Db2 query through batch and USS will almost have the same CPU cost . Am i right ?

Also ,how the CPU time will be calculated for my job, where in am running a java program in USS which is invoked by mainframe batch job executing a Db2 query .The batch job which i ran took 4 minutes to complete.

So the total CPU time 4 minutes is = ( Db2processor time + time to invoke the java program in USS ).

Actually i have checked the CPU times for my user id in the mainframe CPU table .

ZIIP_CPU_SECONDS     N:ZIIP_CPU_NORM_SEC    N:ZIIP_CPU_ON_CP_SEC
+0.4659E+02          N +0.1591929051E+04    N +0.635E+01       
 0.0E+00             N  0.0E+00             N  0.0E+00         
+0.758E+01           N +0.259000262E+03     N +0.8E+00         
+0.1366E+02          N +0.466747174E+03     N +0.134E+01       
+0.5885E+02          N +0.2010839765E+04    N +0.817E+01       

The entries are for previous days and before i ran the job in batch today (08/18) , i was running the java program in OMVS, so can i say the ZIIP CPU times are for the Db2 processing in OMVS ?

Let me know if am wrong in case .

Thanks
Nara_513

Re: CPU Cost of a mainframe job running java program

Postby NicC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:13 pm

I do not know why you should think that this is a JCL question. You really only mention DB2 and Java. Either section of the forum would have been better as would "Any Other Mainframe Topics". Topic moved.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Per my knowledge the CPU time for the programs running under USS will be calculated differently as compared to the jobs running under batch ,
Your knowledge is wrong. Programs running under Unix System Services use the same CPU calculations as any started task or TSO user or batch job. The program may invoke zAAP or zIIP processors, but the actual CPU time usage would be calculated the same, whether you start the program via a batch jbo or Unix script or interactively via OMVS.

The batch job which i ran took 4 minutes to complete.
z/OS is a multi-tasking machine; if your batch job completed in 4 minutes then the CPU usage was MUCH less than 4 minutes. If the batch job took 4 minutes of CPU time, it ran for (probably) hours. Terminology is critical in IT, where similar terms may mean very different things. And so far your terminology indicates quite a bit of confusion on your part.

so can i say the ZIIP CPU times are for the Db2 processing in OMVS ?
You can say that. It may -- or may not -- be true. Googling ziip processor returns 22,300 results and one of the first ones is an IBM web page quoted below. One of the possible zIIP workloads is zAAP processing -- which mean your Java program could be running on the zIIP processor as well. You would need to work with your site support group to see if it is possible to know whether or not your Java code is running on the zIIP processor:
zIIP Eligible workloads include portions of the following:

Beginning with DB2 for z/OS V8, DB2 for z/OS exploits the zIIP capability for portions of eligible data serving, pureXML, and utility workloads.
z/OS Communications Server exploits the zIIP for portions of IPSec network encryption and decryption. z/OS Communications Server exploits the zIIP for select HiperSockets large message traffic.
z/OS XML System Services is enabled to take advantage of the zIIP for eligible XML validating and non-validating workloads.
z/OS Global Mirror enables DFSMS System Data Mover processing to be eligible for the zIIP.
IBM Global Business Services can enable the Scalable Architecture for Financial Reporting (SAFR) enterprise business intelligence reporting solution for zIIP.
Portions of z/OS CIM Server processing are eligible for zIIP (beginning with z/OS V1.11).
OMEGAMON XE on z/OS for DASD scanning.
OMEGAMON XE for DB2 Performance Expert (and DB2 Performance Monitor) for normalizing DB2 for z/OS raw instrumentation data.
OMEGAMON V5.1 CICS SLA Report Builder
Up to 73% of the OMEGAMON V5.1 CICS Service Level Agreement (SLA) report builder processing is eligible to be executed on zIIPs.
RMF - Announced in the z/OS V2.1 preview, RMF V2R1 customers who have at least one zIIP processor online in the partition where RMF Monitor III (RMFGAT) is running, are expected to be able to run a portion of Monitor III work on zIIP engines
zAAP on zIIP capability.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello,

Programs running under Unix System Services use the same CPU calculations as any started task or TSO user or batch job
On one of my clients, the cost per cpu unit is very different for batch versus tso versus cics and etc. There is also a rate for different types of i/o.

Suggest you speak with those who calculate chargback on your system and learn the rules of how usage is charged.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Note that the CPU will be the same, but the chargeback mechanism (if one is used at your site) may be very different for batch / TSO / JAVA / started tasks. Some sites charge mainframe costs out to the various groups using it; some sites do not. If your post was referring to chargeback, then you CANNOT get chargeback information on this forum -- you MUST find out the specifics of your site's chargeback from someone working AT YOUR SITE.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Nara_513 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi Robert,

i always try my best not to post this way, i do double check, still am ending up with some mistakes while posting. I will make sure that i will post my data better next time.

Here my doubt was , how the CPU times are calculated for both types of batch jobs (one invoking Java calling Db2 and other normal Db2 call) and it got clarified from the above reply .

I even mailed our IBM site people regarding this. Before i go and ask them further about this, i want to get clarified few things :

For the batch job performing a Db2 operation, can the workload be shifted to zIIP processor , the same way it happened when we made the call throug Java ?

Also, i have gone through one of the zIIP online material , where it was mentioned :

" The zIIP's execution environment accepts eligible work from z/OS, which manages and directs the work between the general purpose processor and the zIIP. IBM will not impose software charges on zIIP capacity. "

Can i know how the system knows which is eligible to be prcoesses on zIIP ?
Also, Its mentioned " IBM will not impose s/w charges on zIIP capacity" --> here capacity refers to processing speed or the load or any other parameter ?

Thanks - For the knowledge shared !!!
Nara_513

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:30 am

Hello,

how the CPU times are calculated for both types of batch jobs (one invoking Java calling Db2 and other normal Db2 call) and it got clarified from the above reply .
CPU time is not calculated . . . It is recorded by the system and is used for reporting and chargeback.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to DB2