Last update for o volume

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

Last update for o volume

Postby samb01 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Hello,

i'd like to know the timestamp of the last update value for a volume in a storage group by a vary command.
I can't knwo if it's possible to get that by TSO MXI by rexx or an other way...
samb01

Re: Last update for o volume

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:55 pm

What you'd like to know is not possible to retrieve. The system stores update dates (but not timestamps) for data sets. You could analyze DCOLLECT output to determine the latest update date for any data set on the volume, but since the time of update is not stored anywhere, you cannot get it.

And VARY console commands (assuming that is what you meant) bring volumes or network nodes (or whatever) online or offline -- you cannot even retrieve an update date using VARY.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby samb01 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Hello Robert Sample for you answer.
We had volume wiche were in the state : "DISABLE,NEW".
But a vary command set it in the state : "ENABLE":

/V SMS,VOL(VLU001),E

I would like to retrieve which were the voulme in DISABLE,NEW...

But if i undertsand your answer, it's impossible to find it...
samb01

Postby willy jensen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 pm

that should be in the syslog
willy jensen

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm

ISMF will tell you all volumes in the storage group and their state. If you want to know when a particular volume was placed in a particular state, you need to scan the system log (assuming your site keeps enough log history -- a volume could have been placed in its state days ... weeks ... months ago, depending upon how your storage group works) to locate the VARY command that was issued. If you cannot find that volume in the system log (for whatever reason), then it is not possible for you to find out when it was placed in that state since the system does not have any timestamp for this data.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Robert Sample wrote:... The system stores update dates (but not timestamps) for data sets. ...
Actually, the system stores reference date as a data set attribute, not update date. I suspect you're confusing OS/360 (and its children, grandchildren and so on) with Windoze or *nix. Unfortunately, I think the only fairly reliable source for update date (and time) for a data set is SMF. ... and we all know the problems with using SMF!

It's worse than that, as a data set can be open for an extended period of time and receive updates without being noted as a a reference until the data set is closed. Another potential issue is what I will call a significant update rather than an insignificant update. An insignificant update, for example, is changing a data set reference date in the VTOC.

I must say I agree with samb01 that something like this would be useful.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS