Catalog Size

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

Catalog Size

Postby ravisankarc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi,

How to know the size of a catalog? Can anyone help me a rexx code or command for the same.
ravisankarc

Re: Tape dataset size

Postby NicC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Find the catalog in 3.4 and S or I it. Not that you should actually need to know this information.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Re: Catalog Size

Postby steve-myers » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Do you need the size of an existing catalog? NicC's response is good, though there are other ways. The size values for used space in a catalog are not reliable.

Do you need a method to estimate the size of a new catalog? I don't know any way to do this since it depends on the number of entries and the average size of an entry. The number of entries can't be predicted in advance. The size of an entry is an unknown quantity since IBM refuses to publicize the structure of catalog entries. Worse, the size of an entry is variable and very hard to predict in advance, even if the exact structure of the entries were known. Even if you knew the exact size of an entry, you run into the issue of number of entries, plus the added complication of the distribution of type of entries.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS