Convert DFHSM from FDDR/AB

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

Convert DFHSM from FDDR/AB

Postby DFuhr2010 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 pm

I am a proponent of DFHSM for data management under DFSMS. I am looking for cost justification documentation that you may have that I could use
to justify moving away from FDR/ABR and implementing DFHSM. If you can assist it would be appreciated.
Even if it's just a rough draft that I can use to modify for my environment.
DFuhr2010

Re: Convert DFHSM from FDR/ABR

Postby DFuhr2010 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:12 pm

If this is not an appropriate question to post, I apologize. Just looking for some guidelines. Example that FDR/ABR is batch / schedule driven, whereas DFHSM functions are automatic.
DFuhr2010

Re: Convert DFHSM from FDDR/AB

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 am

Hello,

I suspect you have not received any replies as no one has cost justification information they can share. Many organization ocnsider this type of information proprietary. . .

schedule driven, whereas DFHSM functions are automatic.
Ah, also schedule driven is automatic . . . SOme of my clients that use FDR only actually "do" something when a new system comes online or and old system is retired. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Re: Convert DFHSM from FDDR/AB

Postby steve-myers » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:39 am

I agree with DFuhr2010 that this is not an appropriate topic. The response is driven by the internal politics at IP's site more than anything else. Presumably the IP knows what they are; no one outside of the site can know what they are.

When I read the topic line I thought about a technical response as I've been at a couple of sites that did the conversion, but that's not what the OP wanted so I decided to keep quiet.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS