KSDS

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

KSDS

Postby Sanket » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:48 pm

I have been given an flat file from which i have to read records on roll number match and update the same in KSDS file.Can anyone explain me the logic and give me the program for it?
Sanket

Re: KSDS

Postby NicC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:59 pm

No - we do not give programs unless you pay for them.

Now - where are you stuck?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Sanket » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 am

well i am new to mainframe,well i can read the records from flat file based on roll no match but i dnt know the stuff of how to update the same in KSDS file.

Plus i have been given only 1 flat file so with what i need to match the roll numbers
Sanket

Postby NicC » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:06 am

Preumably the 'roll numbers' (whatever they are) are the keys into the VSAM file. As the VSAM file is in key sequence you should first sort your flat file into the key sequence. Then read the flat file a record at a time, use the key field from there to retrieve the record with that key from the VSAM file. If the record is found - do whatever, if not found then do something else. Does that sound logical to you?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Sanket » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:08 am

yup :)
Sanket

Return to VSAM/SMS