How to know the MGMTCLASS for tape & archived Datasets.

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

How to know the MGMTCLASS for tape & archived Datasets.

Postby ashish_yaadav » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 am

Hi ,

My requirement is to create the list of all the datasets that are in tape and datasets which are migrated along with their management class(mandatory).
Since, I have only TSO access (no TMS) as I do not belong to DBA team of my organizations.
Please somebody help in this.

Thanks
Ashish
ashish_yaadav

Re: How to know the MGMTCLASS for tape & archived Datasets.

Postby NicC » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:29 am

Don't you think that posting in the VSDAM/SMS part of the forum would be more appropriate as you are asking an SMS question?
Why not try asking the styorage people in your organisation if there are ready-made reports that you can run? If there are not, then they are the people to help you produce such a report.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:42 am

Hello nd welcome to the forum,

The people who have the permissions and the knowledge about migration and management classes are the storage management people for your system. The information is quite site-specific and (unless they suport your system) no one at the forum knows your setup.

I have only TSO access (no TMS) as I do not belong to DBA team of my organizations.
This is NOT something usually considered a DBA responsibility, thought DBAs tend to have more permissions that application developers.

You need to work with your storage management people.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby ashish_yaadav » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks NicC, Next time will keep this thing in mind.
Dick,

Thanks for quick reply. I think and believe that storage management people can help me in to resolve this issue.
But as It was festival time here. So, we have to take care of this task by ourselves.
I appreciate your stand but would like to ask as by the help of FDREPORT utility we can perform similar action.
So, Is their any other utility to perform this task.

Thanks
Ashish
ashish_yaadav

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:27 pm

1. If your site uses a tape management system, there probably already is a list of all data sets on tape. You just don't have the knowledge (and probably not the access) to use the existing report.

2. Attempting to handle system-level functions on your own, for whatever reason, is frequently seen by management as a potentially hostile act -- since you are attempting to evade the existing site procedures and processes. This is not a good thing. If you proceed any further, you ought to get management to write you a permission letter to prevent adverse action when the storage management group returns.

3. Depending upon how your site is set up and the security measures being used, it may not even be possible for you to access the data to do what you claim you need to do. This would apply whether you use ISMF, FDREPORT, DCOLLECT, or any other facility.

4. What kind of site does not make arrangement for an on-call process for the system support group, so one can be called in to provide what you need, anyway?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Hello,

But as It was festival time here. So, we have to take care of this task by ourselves.
Sorry, but this is nonsense. . .

Who believes you need to work on this in the absence of the people reaponsible?

If someone in the organization's management wants this now, i suspect they could/would fine a resource to work with you. If it is not that important to management, i suspect it will wait until after festival.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS