Search order for ACS routines.

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

Search order for ACS routines.

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Dear all,

I have a couple of ACS routines for dataclass and management class which influences the dataset orientation under certain conditions as given in the routine. Now my question is what would be the search order for the ACS routines. Say, in my site i may have more than 10 routines which are written for convenience. Just curious to know which how the system arrange these. will my routine would be the last keeping in mind that i'm the last one who gave the routine to the active dataset? Please let me know if in case i need to give any information on this. Apologize if i or my thoughts are wrong!

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: Search order for ACS routines.

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm sorry, but your post makes absolutely no sense. There is no search order since only one each management class, storage class, data class, (etc) routine can be activated at a time. In fact, the Storage Administration Reference manual states in section 1.10.1 Understanding ACS Routines
Through ISMF, you can create and maintain as many as four ACS routines in an SCDS, one for each type of SMS class and one for storage groups.
You do not have "more than 10" routines active -- you can only have ONE active routine at a time for each type. It does not matter if you've defined 10 ... 20 ... 75 ... or more routines in the ACS data set; only one each can be active so the others are not used by SMS in any way, shape, style, or form. Hence there's no search order required.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Hello Robert ,

Thanks for the time and reply! Yes, after reading glancing the specified manual i found my question of no sense. sorry for that.

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:13 pm

No problem -- at least you learned something!
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS