ADRDSSU: merging backups

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

ADRDSSU: merging backups

Postby JPVRoff » Fri May 04, 2012 6:38 am

I have been taking backups of some of our old files (with off-site copies) and deleting them, using ADRDSSU. So far, so good.

But, if I wish to add any more files to a particular backup, are there any options available. The manual doesn't even come close to the idea - you can take a copy of a backup, but you don't seem to be able to add any files at all. And there's no sort of merge or 'mod' process.

I don't mind restoring everything and creating a new backup - but it's messy. Has anyone seen ADRDSSU used for a backup merge?
Regards,
Jonathan

"Calm down, it's only ones and zeros" © Kathy Mar, 1985
JPVRoff

Re: ADRDSSU: merging backups

Postby expat » Fri May 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Unfortunately it will have to be a restore nd recreate, unless you add a second label to the tape (assumes) backup
expat

Re: ADRDSSU: merging backups

Postby JPVRoff » Mon May 07, 2012 5:22 am

Thanks, expat.

It's what I figured - but thanks for the confirmation. The second label would be fine for a regular backup, but we took the decision (OK, I told everybody else) that they were all going on the one backup. Saves looking for files to restore on more than one dataset.
Regards,
Jonathan

"Calm down, it's only ones and zeros" © Kathy Mar, 1985
JPVRoff

Return to VSAM/SMS