VSAM Error - 35 - OPEN ERROR NOT LOADED

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

VSAM Error - 35 - OPEN ERROR NOT LOADED

Postby fornanthakumar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi,

I am getting below error message while opening VSAM file and the status code is 35.

DD=GLCONTF1 OPEN ERROR - FILE DEFINED BUT NOT LOADED

The file is there in the system. It ran fine when we restart the JOB.

Please advise.
Regards,
Nanthu.Y.
fornanthakumar

Re: VSAM Error - 35 --- OPEN ERROR NOT LOADED

Postby chandurokzz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi,

File Status : 35
Reason : Ateempting to open an empty file in INPUT or I/O mode. DD is missing or TEEMPTING TO OPEN AN EMPTY FILE IN INPUT OR I/O MODE. DD NAME is missing or wrongly given.
Desc: An OPEN statement with the INPUT, I-O, or EXTEND phrase was attempted on a non-optional file that was not present.

Thanks,
Chandu
chandurokzz

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 pm

VSAM distinguishes between an empty file (one that has been defined but never had a record in it) and a file with no records. An empty VSAM file cannot be opened for input or I-O in a COBOL program (nor anything else). Once the file has been opened for output, typically the file can be opened for input or I-O.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby fornanthakumar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi,

The file used to delete and copy the content from the other file -- This process happening in program called X.

The ABEND JOB name is Y. We have not set the predecessor X for the JOB Y.

There is a possibility for the ABEND if both X and Y running at same time but this is also not happened. The JOB Y ran at 2100 hrs and JOB X ran at 2330hrs. so the file with content should be there for JOB Y.

That is why i posted the issue.
Regards,
Nanthu.Y.
fornanthakumar

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:32 pm

fornanthakumar wrote:The JOB Y ran at 2100 hrs and JOB X ran at 2330hrs. so the file with content should be there for JOB Y.

How do you get time to run in reverse in your shop?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:00 pm

So the file is defined, the job that loads data into the VSAM file ran 2 1/2 hours AFTER the job that got the file status 35, and you're questioning what happened? Let me rephrase my previous post so you can understand. At the time job Y runs, any VSAM data set being opened for INPUT or I-O in a COBOL program must have had data placed in it (whether or not that data was later deleted) -- otherwise you will get a 35 file status code. Based upon your post, what happened is both normal and expected behavior.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS